#1 spark plug wire location on distributor

Guest mopar728

Guest mopar728

I have a 1941 Chrysler flathead 6 cylinder. Where does the #1 spark plug wire connect to the distributor? There are 2 hold down clamps on the distributor to hold the distributor cap on (right clamp and left clamp). Does the #1 plug wire connect to distributor cap above the left clamp or below it? I do not see a good picture of this in the repair manual. It lists firing order but not location of plugs on distributor cap.

Thank you!

That distributor can be installed in either one of two positions, 180° opposite.  So it's best to NOT rely on factory illustrations on the chance that it was installed in the alternative position.  Go back to basics, put #1 cylinder on TDC on the compression stoke, #1 wire goes where the rotor tip is and rest around the cap in the proper direction of rotation and according to the firing order.

• Like 1

Guest mopar728

thanks! I see what you mean about 180, I am not 180 degrees off, I checked. Right now rotor points in the vicinity of #1 on #1 compression stroke. I just want to make sure that my wires are not 1 position off on distributor. I used a reference photo before I took everything apart and person before me may have had them on wrong.