horns not working

olympic

my 50 hudson commodore 8 has an electrical problem?  The horns refuse to blow. We have traced current from voltage regulator, through horn relay to horn contact in steering wheel. All show 6 volts.  The schematic in the 50 Hudson tech manual show that there are no parts missing in the horn button area.  Grandson reports that when he was pushing on the horn ring the metal "horn ring contact cup" was getting hot.  There is current there but why no horns? The horn relay is new, we ran a jumper wire from horns to battery and both blast just fine. Is it possible that the horn wire that runs up the steering is too small a gauge? It has been replaced at some  point and it is a very thin wire. Is there something else that we have not considered? Dave

Could be a short somewhere. Be sure it is well grounded. Horn systems work by using the ground in the wheel to complete the circuit. Horn wires are normally hot all the time on most vehicles. Normally two wires to a single horn. Power in and the wire that grounds it that runs up the wheel. I could see where if the wire is to light in the wheel it would heat up and break down over time. I think I would replace that first. Is the switch in the horn nice and clean, or blue and burnt? Sure would be easier if I was there. Dandy Dave!  

The mechanism in the horn button does not carry any current to speak of. It only makes a ground that activates the relay.

Since you say it has a new relay I would suggest that you may have it wired up incorrectly.

Hudsons must be different that what I am used to.

I haven't ever found voltage at the switch (horn button). BUT, I doubt I have ever looked for it.

In any case, in a relay ground switch there would not be enough to make heat.