64 Riv Brake Booster Questions

hermanangus

Hi, second topic of the night. I was told there was a problem with the brakes when I picked up the car. I am planning on putting a dual master cylinder, with new lines and wheel cylinders. I have read a number of threads on this and am pretty comfortable with it. I have been problem checking from the wheels in and couldn't find a problem, but when I pulled of the old single master to see if it was shallow or deep I did not find a gasket on it. Please look at the pics and let me know where this gasket goes and if that booster can be identified without removing it. Thanks for your time.

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

Hi hermanangus,

There should be a square O-ring on the MC which seems to be missing. There is no need for any other kind of gasket. There are appends by Jim Cannon that talks about this and where to get a replacement. I re-used the old O-ring on the dual MC that I recently installed. If you look near the end of the MC you can see a "ring" around it with a square side, this is where the O-ring should go into.

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

When I swapped a '67 drum / drum dual reservoir master cylinder on to my '64, I called Booster Dewey and asked him what I should used in the way of gaskets.  He told me to take the parts shown in the attached photos from the '64 m/c and put them on the '67; nothing else was required.

20150212_101902.jpg

20150212_144337.jpg

Ok Jan and Tom Just to clarify. I need an O-ring but no gasket, the O-ring goes in the square groove on the MC.

Ed my car did not have anything that looks like that cup and gasket assembly on it. The 2 pics are how everything looked after undid the brake line and 2 MC nuts on the booster. Was it supposed to

Thanks for the Responses.

Kevin

I imagine so.  When I talked to Booster Dewey, he told me what to look for and what I pictured was what he described.  He's not a tech guy so I printed the pictures and sent them to him snail-mail.  He responded and told me that's exactly what I needed.

Ed

11 hours ago, hermanangus said:

Ok Jan and Tom Just to clarify. I need an O-ring but no gasket, the O-ring goes in the square groove on the MC.

Ed my car did not have anything that looks like that cup and gasket assembly on it. The 2 pics are how everything looked after undid the brake line and 2 MC nuts on the booster. Was it supposed to

Thanks for the Responses.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

No, your application does not use an oring immediately against the master cylinder casting. You are missing the parts Ed has pictured in his post. The large square cut oring goes against the face of the brake booster. The metal cup is inserted thru the oring also into the face of the brake booster and is captured by the flange on the metal cup. The small seal goes into the cup and over the shaft of the power piston. There is no gasket which contacts the master cylinder body. The gasket is captured between the flange of the metal cup and the face of the front brake booster body. Because the oring is under the flange of the metal cup, the metal cup projects above the face of the booster body and indexes into the groove in the master cylinder body. Clear as mud, right? If you need pics I have a `64 in the shop and the booster is coming off. Let me know, best to send a PM,

Tom Mooney

These are pics of what I expect a `64 booster to look like. One pic is what the booster should look like after removing the master cylinder. The other pic is with the parts which Ed pictured removed from the booster. Notice the oring goes behind the flange/lip of the metal cup against the booster face and the small seal is inserted into the bore of the cup and indexes onto the power piston shaft. There is no oring between the master cylinder and the metal cup. The oring is between the metal cup and the booster.

Tom

DSC02639.JPG

DSC02640.JPG

Thanks Tom and Ed. I spoke with Dewey today as well and he backs up what you are saying. Parts are in the mail. He said that sometimes the cup comes off with the mc. Either way someone before me didn't put it back.My booster even has clean area around the opening like your second photo. I appreciate your efforts on this. 

Kevin