jpage

1936 Dodge sedan body mounting pads

I've been pouring over my Dodge parts book but cannot locate the listing for the body mounting pads for the fourdoor touring sedan. Does anyone know if they're listed or more importantly, what is their thickness and are they all the same thickness. Mine are pretty well squashed down. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Just a quick note from memory to get you started... Some are thick felt, some are asphalt impregnated woven fabric. As memory serves, the "squashed" thickness is pretty much where you want to start on the asphalt versions. The aged areas of these asphalt ones seems to gets thicker as they are exposed to weathering. On the thick felt, I would picture them about a third thicker than the "squashed' areas. More like the current thickness of the "unsquashed' areas. Most of the install of these depends on body alignment. That's why I do not remove the doors from the body until it is placed back onto the frame. Then I can use the door alignment to help with body mounting adjustments.

Open for comments here!

The only listing I found in the book was for "body mounting shim" and only 2 were req'd. I know that there are a lot more, so I assume they were talking about the cowling mount. I figured that they should be about 1/4- 5/16 in. thick. I have one more parts car to disassemble so I'll see what that yields.You wouldn't happen to have any extra door dovetail latches that go on the "B": pillar, I need 3.

I have the body off my Coupe and have been thinking about using some 1/4" conveyor belt and cut it to fit.  The mounting pads on mine are pretty bad but I did find that they are bent over the sides of the frame as well as just the top of the frame.  I think a good conveyor belt will work great, once it is cut to fit right, and should allow me to shape it to go over the side of the frame too. Just food for thought.

I was going to use the same thing as it looks like the original type material. Just not sure of the original thickness of multiple thickness are used. Hate to mount the body only to remove it again and add more shims. There's a lot of body bolts on a sedan.The parts book calls for 10 carriage bolts, I can only find 6. Does anyone know where the other 4 are?

Sorry. No extra dovetails. Most are broken over time. I know there was a move to try and reproduce those out east a few years back but don't know the status of that project.

Did you count the 6 carriage style bolts through the sides of the frame side members? (Front and back of the bottom of the "B" pillar and also at the back of the rear door kick panel). 

Also, from my memory, there are two bolts under the cowl, two near the trunk opening, two just in front of the rear seat, and I think two at the bottom of the "A" pillar. These are all on the tops of the frame side members. (There MAY be two in the bottoms of the "B" pillars also but I'm not sure on those). And who knows. I may be forgetting about a couple others too! My impression was there seemed to be A LOT!  ;) 

BTW: I was ALSO thinking about using conveyor belting for the hard ones! Great minds think alike!

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

I did account for all the carriage bolts between looking at the mounts in my parts car and the square holes in the body.  1936D2, which style of latch is on your car and have you ever seen the other? Sure would like to find some, there must be a few unbroken ones out there somewhere!

These are the style on my car. (Originals on back door so look pretty nice!)

HPIM7082004.jpg

Sorry, not to make you drool too much but these were seen for sale on eBay over three years ago. Sold for $125.00 / pair!  :wacko:36 Dodge Door Latch Striker Assemblies - front.jpg  36 Dodge Door Latch Striker Assemblies - outside.jpg  

36 Dodge Door Latch Striker and Dovetail Assemblies.jpg

I saw one recently on E-bay for close to $200 I think. Way to much in my opinion, I'm not going to pad someone"s retirement fund! Maybe I can find another parts car somewhere. When you start seeing oil caps for $300 and windshield hinges for $400 you know that somethings wrong in this hobby. Opportunists are everywhere in this hobby anymore !