Windshield Wiper Towers

Rolf

Hi Everybody, we are getting ready to go to the chrome plater, and I want to get the WS towers done on my '41, and we can't figure out how to take them apart, and re-assemble them, sure hope someone will share their expertise, thanks alot, Rolf confused.gif" border="0

ROLF It's a little tricky, but if recall your dash is out. If it's chain driven like my 1940 z there is a "U" tpe clamp that secures the chain drive assembly to the towers. All I did was remove the U clamp, I left the wiper shafts on and after I unstuck the seals around the tower I let the shafts hang and turned the towers side ways and pulled the assembly out. You have to be carefull so you don't damage the chain. When you get them out remove the nut from the drive gear then you can disassemble the chain which has a pin connecting/tying the chain together very similar to a bike chain. The only problem I see is that the driven gear in the tower may not be removable. Those towers look all the same up thru 1948.<BR>Note Make sure you remember which side they came out of.<P>BILL

Thanks Bill, we have got that far,it is getting those shafts out that is the problem, looks like they must press on some way, and we are just trying to figure out a way to un-press them, will let you know how it works out.

• 3 months later...

I've rechromed my wiper towers from a 41 and left the shafts and chains on. Now one of the shafts turns very hard and mat not be usable. I assume the plating closed the tolerance.

HI Rolf, Yeah it's me and I did that once before, those shafts are keyed and pressed in, using the old time methods of heat and cold to insert them in the towers, with a bushing that the wiper shaft rotates in and has to be reinstalled at the right position of the gear it self.<BR>Pushing it down will ruin the seal, and where do you get one of those is the question. If you have a friend that works in a X-Ray booth have it X-rayed and you will see what I mean or find and old one that you can cut in half. I think the Chrome shop should be able to seal the cavity and the top of the shaft.they have way's to seal areas not requiring chroming.<P>Hey just a note, I've sold my home here in Pahrump and I'm leaving for PA. around the first of April, and I have a few towers back there for a ford that I saved when it was the good old day's.Probably I won't be back on the net until around the first week in May.<P>BILL