MrEarl

Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

Whoops, I've hijacked somebodies thread!!  Morton, start your own, I'll move my comments over.

Yeah it's a 56S, called a Super Sport Coupe here. When you use the shop manual and other documentation, the correct info for it will be for the Super. Looks very nice btw. You will love it, they drive very nicely.

On ‎28‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 10:10 PM, kgreen said:

Morton, time to correct the guys in Norway.  Buick refers to the 50 series as the Super's, yours is a 56S or a Sport Coupe.  The breakdown for the 1940 series 50 is below and will be important to know when ordering parts.  The body is indeed the Torpedo body as Dave noted above which is wider for the lack of running boards.  The 50 series cars have the shorter front end with the smaller of the two engine offerings that year.  For some reason, possibly because there were so many "Special's", I've seen many Buicks referred to as such.  Yours is a beautiful car!

51 - four door sedan

51C - four door convertible

56S - 2 door sport coupe

56C - 2 door convertible

59 - 4 door estate wagon

hi, this is really helpfull as cars paperwork say special coupe series 40. will start my own thread, thanks. -m-

• Like 1

On ‎29‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 12:27 AM, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Yeah it's a 56S, called a Super Sport Coupe here. When you use the shop manual and other documentation, the correct info for it will be for the Super. Looks very nice btw. You will love it, they drive very nicely.

thanks real helpfull, will start own thread so dont highjack this thread.

These photos or similar ones have appeared elsewhere on this forum but they fit here,too. The 1925  Standard Six Four Passenger Coupe was restored in the '70's and sat for 37 years.I bought it in July 2017 and just got it all sorted out in time to put it away again for the winter.

The 1929 McLaughlin-Buick Master Close-coupled sedan  underwent a ten year year restoration from cow scratching post to show winner.I bought it several years ago.

1925 Buick ready to show ! 001.JPG

Bonnie and Clyde er Jim 14.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

We went shopping yesterday and it was a nice cool day. I took this picture of our car as it is about a tear after it was painted. This car has never been apart and even when it was painted it was just sanded and carefully masked and sprayed with single stage paint, no clear. Nothing was taken off except the tail light lenses. It runs like brand new, we use it daily.

BITCHEN DR SIDE FRONT.JPG

• Like 11

On 31.12.2017 at 8:13 PM, JRHaelig said:

In the holiday spirit...

Please excuse me being shamefully late, but... ... Thanks, the same... and - Happy & Successfull Year 2018!

c001a7d5d25878b0ecdef3f57ba044e7.jpg

Edited by tinsled (see edit history)
  • Like 2

While this is not 'my' car, I do own the AUG 03 1941-dated Kodachrome slide this picture is created from. I just determined the make and model of this car from my recently purchased slide.

1940 Buick Century Series 61 Phaeton convertible

5a640bd733d00_1940BuickCenturyConvertiblePhaetonSeries61C-AUG_30_1941_wm.thumb.jpg.b2cd275d52168b09befefeac60d5d839.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I guess I haven't yet posted a photo of "Scooter"; the 1912 Model 34 Roadster that completed the trip up and down "The Old Spiral Highway" while on tour in Lewiston Idaho last summer.  First photo is at the top of the hill, second is my two grand daughters having fun in the car.

12 Buick Roadster at the top of The Old Spiral Highway.jpg

Rachael & Sabrina in 12 roadster 3.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 9

This photo of my 1925 Buick Standard Touring was taken the day I brought the car home.  The car in the background is a 1922 Dodge Brothers Touring.  The Dodge is a neighbors car that I have been restoring mechanically.  The reason I like this photo is I had never driven or considered a pre-war car before working on the Dodge.  It was a lot of fun to fix mechanically with my son.  It is a fun car to drive even with a top speed under 40 and 2 wheel brakes that still need some service and more importantly - stopping distance.  My son and I try to show each other who is better at shifting and not grinding gears.  What caught my eye was that the Buick shows the emergence of body styling.  The Dodge has a 4 cylinder engine, and a small engine compartment that flares out to the body section.  On the Buick we now have a larger engine (6 cylinder) and they have created a straight body line from the top of the radiator shell to around the body section.  This also created a narrower windshield.  The tires are also increased in size significantly with the advent of balloon tires. 1925 being the first year.  Both cars have wood spoke wheels.   The Buick has 4 wheel brakes.  A big improvement implemented in 1924.  

Another thing about the Buick.  There are several items wrong visually with the car which I did not figure out until later.  The answer is below if you want to study the picture before looking at the answers.  

5ab7db494d38e_2015-06-1009_39_50.thumb.jpg.6d3ecdd1379387a61570aa585ca1606f.jpg

1) I thought the paint was original because it did not have a lot of layers.  The black is, but the body paint is a worn out respray.

2) 1924 and 1926 Buicks had fluted headlight lenses and smooth reflectors.  1925 has fluted reflectors and flat glass.  These are Ford model A fluted glass put on backwards so you cant read the Ford script

3) This is a 1926 radiator shell as it is more rounded and 1/2" deeper than a 1925 shell

4) The mud pan is from an earlier 6 cylinder car.  The early 6 and Master radiators had the crank that went thru the radiator shell.  On a standard, the crank is below the radiator shell.  There is not supposed to be a big gap between the shell and the mud pan.

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The weather got into the 80's here today, so I dropped my plastic crate behind the wheel and drove her out into the cut-de-sac for a few daytime photos!

DSC_8104.thumb.jpg.a2a8313138ca2e5642aedda8c66165a9.jpg

DSC_8109.thumb.jpg.0f28b2043e825a5952841dd3fcf3e944.jpg

Even the Bradford Pears are showing off!!

DSC_8112.thumb.jpg.98951e7dad1804f1fc137fc21cd08937.jpg

Have a great weekend!

Gary

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This '25 owned by Goldstein Buick of Albany, NY shows up at all Goldstein-sponsored car shows

DSCN2050.JPG

• Like 4

Wow, I've never seen a 39 like this.  What model is it? 41C, 61C, is there a 71C?

My 1925 Buick model 25A Touring and 1923 Buick Model 50 seven passenger Sedan.

DSC_0006.JPG

• Like 7