Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

MrEarl

On 8/14/2016 at 4:05 PM, tinsled said:

My 1942 Series 70 Roadmaster is still a project car, but this must be my favorite photo of it:
This is when and where I first saw it "live"; On the freight forwarder's back yard when I came to pick her up after the ocean freight.

I bought the car by photographs and had it hauled from Las Vegas to Helsinki past winter....

L5pgdOU-lZzwxc9S1R9mzFwgikYCoC3AfgkjXyDp

1942 is a rare year. They only made a few of them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Latitude70

Hi!  Thought I'd introduce myself here.  I purchased this 39' 46C La Opera at the turn of this year and can't tell you how much fun I am having with this car!  Solid, simple, and so regal to drive. I don't have a ton of history on it, but our story started with a 350 mile road trip with my wife, a UHaul trailer, and a bit more trepidation with the weight than I had planned for.  I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you by browsing this forum. Front.jpgLeftside.jpgrear.jpgSideView.jpgFrontView.jpg

4 hours ago, Latitude70 said:

Hi!  Thought I'd introduce myself here.  I purchased this 39' 46C La Opera at the turn of this year and can't tell you how much fun I am having with this car!  Solid, simple, and so regal to drive. I don't have a ton of history on it, but our story started with a 350 mile road trip with my wife, a UHaul trailer, and a bit more trepidation with the weight than I had planned for.  I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you by browsing this forum. Front.jpgLeftside.jpgrear.jpgSideView.jpgFrontView.jpg

Great looking car - I notice it has '39 Texas plate on the rear.  Are you in Texas, and where, or was the car purchased in Texas?  Would love to see it in person. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Latitude70 said:

Hi!  Thought I'd introduce myself here.  I purchased this 39' 46C La Opera at the turn of this year and can't tell you how much fun I am having with this car!  Solid, simple, and so regal to drive. I don't have a ton of history on it, but our story started with a 350 mile road trip with my wife, a UHaul trailer, and a bit more trepidation with the weight than I had planned for.  I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you by browsing this forum.

Great looking car

You can join the '39 Buick team here on the forum. (But with the latest software update links have been lost)

Guest Latitude70
16 hours ago, jvelde said:

Great looking car - I notice it has '39 Texas plate on the rear.  Are you in Texas, and where, or was the car purchased in Texas?  Would love to see it in person. 

This Texas plate was in the car when purchased, but we are in California, sorry.  If you get out this way, would be happy to show you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, here's a unique pre-war piece.  It's a Frankenbuick, built on a 1932 Series 50 chassis, specially for vintage rally work.  Almost all body elements are from other pre-war Buicks, but combined in a new way!  By way of explanation: Vintage TSD rally rules  set the handicap by the year of the car, but newer equipment (besides safety items and engine internals) sets the effective year.  One exception, any carburetor before 1949 is OK without penalty to year.  So this car still has its original mechanical brakes and all its drivetrain, except for the engine having been bored out and fitted with aluminum pistons and insert bearings, and four sidedraft carburetors (just because there were four intake ports!).  I stilll hope to get to making full pontoon fenders as in the original design plan, but it's road-legal now!

OnTheRoad.jpg

CockpitFromRight.jpg

IMG_7303.jpg

CarbsInBayJune2014.jpg

ConceptClay&Progress160606sm.jpg

Edited by project61
forgot an word of explanation (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I love it! it really turned out great. I had been watching your progress on the Speedsters forum. This is a minor detail compared to the challenges of a project like this but I know what a bear it can be to tune and synchronize two SU carbs but 4? My hat is off to you sir. :)

Dave

• Like 1

On 4/5/2016 at 1:34 PM, Lawrence Helfand said:

Hi Dave, I have always been inclined to mount WW's on my vintage cars especially rag tops but there is something sinister about black walls on this car that I like. I think of it as the early muscle car it is and in that regard WW's are a bit too charming. I heard a great line about WW's on a formal car being akin to wearing a black tux with sneakers. I have skirts for it but not sure I will mount them as they have a cruiser look and I am not into the Fulton sun visor, skirts, twin spotlights and wide white wall look for this ride. That's why I will keep the black rims and not go with the popular red. Red is just too cute on a 66S...for me anyway.

Here is what it looked like when I first saw it, the photo is from the seller last year.

BBB4.jpg

Brians Buick 3.jpg

Wow, you found rocker molding!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our 38 was the first picture on this thread and at the time it was original paint. Today it was 48 degrees and we were out for a ride and I snapped these new pictures with the cars new paint. We loved it original and we also love it now. This car was not disassembled to paint it, everything was just carefully masked. It had to be painted twice as the first paint was to chalky. This is a semi gloss PPG paint with a harder and no clear coat in the original color. 

12:26:16 BUICK AT MEAD.JPG

12:26:16_NIKON__2.JPG

NIKON_REAR_PASS_DEC_16.JPG

NIKON__3_DEC_16.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

What's the deal with this thread? All the pics are gone.

The forum switch to a new server will result in photos not showing up temporarily. How does it look now? I have not looked back through the entire discssion but it looks to me like the photos are fine now.