Wood wheel builder recommendations

alsfarms

I am in the position to need a set of wood wheels built.  Could those of you with experience having wheels built add to this posting your experiences.  I would like to use a western area wheelwright but will go east if needed or recommended.  Who are the best choices?

Al

Al, if you are needing a set of wooden spoke artillery type wheels made, there is only one person that you should even consider talking to, and that is Bill Calimer out in Pennsylvania.  He is the absolute best in the business.  He built a new set of wheels for my 1916 D-45 Buick and they are just perfect.  Do a Google search on him and you will get the contact information for him right there.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Hi , Al , I heartily recommend Tom Dessert in Battleground , Wa. just North of Vancouver. He worked with Jim Kanne for many years. Can I post pictures on this new forum ? Where are the pics from the old forum ? I would love to show you the wheels he made for me for my 1927 Cadillac. I am putting many miles on them. Now have 1200 miles or so. Lots of tight cornering, and hard braking which as we know puts the greatest load on wheels. I am overpacked , unorganized and driving the old thing to 'Vegas for the Cad-LaSalle Club G.N. I do have his card in the 'nest of stuff I am rolling with. Shall I dig it up for you ?  -. Carl

Guest richentee

In the west, George Garrigan at the
VIntage Wheel Shop
19842 Via Redondo
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 533-0468

has done good work for several people including myself.

O.K. , I am trying this new format for pics. Looks like an improvement. Let's see. Al , where in the west are you located ? Logistics would be a factor , as Tom does not do the painting. Means your wheels will do a double pass at his shop. No problem for me , as my car was in Portland. Contact him for current policy or subs who might be available.  dessertt@hotmail.com   Tom and Jim have a prominent booth at the Portland Swap Meet in April. What car would the wheels be for ? CLC G.N. will be April 10 - 16. I expect to arrive early and leave late. Are you near 'Vegas ? Come and chauffeur me around in my Cad so I can ride in the back seat. All right , now let's see if the pics post. If not I will email direct.  -  Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Check Bill Calimers website for some info including some cost detail.  I too can recommend his work.  Toured his shop a couple of years ago and he showed me hubs and spokes he was recreating for a very early 1900s car using wagon-wheel type hubs.  He is a real craftsman and stands behind his work.

Terry

On March 23, 2016 at 0:11 PM, Mark Shaw said:

Carl is not afraid to drive his car either!  He puts lots of miles on it...

Not afraid indeed , Mark and all. Last weekend 3 of us took off on a good test drive. Looped around from Santa Barbara to Matteis Tavern (now converting to a bouticutie hotel) by way of Solvang which included some rough narrow winding back roads. But the real test came after a stop at Cold Springs Tavern. We came down from the pass by way of Old San Marcos Road. Very steep , with extremely tight corners. Came down faster than most modern cars dare to do. No fear , but in retrospect probably should have been afraid. I suspect most '27 Cads never got put to such a test in their entire service life. Hard cornering , and especially hard braking. Hmmmmm....... I just noticed an incorrect inference could be drawn regarding the causality of my reckless bravery. FYI , I nursed but a 1/2 beer over an hour or more. No , just enjoying a tough old car within its original capabilities. The wheels and all of us survived intact. My feeling , Al , is that each of us has been very happy with one of a number of craftsmen who could do a fine job for you. Proximity , logistics , level of finish, cost , turnaround time ? Call 'em all , ask them what makes their product superior to all the others. Don't forget to let us know how you are getting on. Good luck , any chance CLC will see you in 'Vegas ?  -  Carl