1981 Riviera

Paul from PA

Just recently picked up a 1981 Riviera from the original owners son, original owner passed away. It is a very clean car with 62,000 miles on it. The color is Light Jade and I was wondering how many were produced in that color for 1981. The pictures look blue but in fact it is a light greenish blue and I have not seen many this color. It has green interior.  

1981 Riviera 003.JPG

1981 Riviera 002.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest CFrance729

Curious to know how the front bumper filler went , if you did it yet. I have an 85 that needs both front and rear.

Guest CFrance729

Sadly I am not a member as I will be selling the car this June/July. I probably won't even get to replace the fillers but I was just curious to see how his went.

The molds from which the repos are cast are old so the repos are poor at best.  If you're selling the car, take the cost of the replacements into consideration and let the next guy deal with them.  I've done two sets.  I removed the bumpers to get a good fit - trimming, etc. - then I also removed the rear 1/4 extensions in order to get good fit between them and the filler.  Remove them, refit the bumper, then refit the fillers.  Some repos are fiberglass, others are ABS, nothing like the originals.  Each takes new paint differently.  Lots of time and effort, but they look better than an open area between the bumper and the body.

Ed

PS - If you're a Facebook guy, look for the E-body Riviera group.  Someone there may have done a set recently.  Perhaps the repos are better than they were 8 - 10 years ago.

Edited by RivNut
added the PS (see edit history)

Guest CFrance729

This is my baby...who I will abandon for a 67 Eldorado later this year. :(

2EYwwJn.jpg

nBdoK2V.jpg

36qPoPj.jpg

WBxCQsJ.jpg

And yes I know my license plate is in the picture.

Edited by CFrance729 (see edit history)

Guest CFrance729

.....its really that simple? I figured maybe the frame was bent, but more likely the bumper was bent since it still drives mostly straight. Never dealt with a bumper or anything before so I was gonna get it looked at. Definitely gonna buy a chain tomorrow and do that.

You sir, are a life saver. (Hopefully)

Look the the "shock absorbers" on each side of the bumper.  They should be the same length.  If not, they've just been collapsed.  Let us know what happens.  If you have a strong piece of rope, don't bother spending money on a chain.  It shouldn't take too much to pull them back out.  Maybe even a strategically placed bumper jack would work.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Bumper fillers are on. My cousin said they were very easy to install and had no issues. Small fingers were needed to attach the springs from the grill. These are the three piece units and lined up pretty well. don't know how exact the fit was from the factory. Excuse the pictures as it was raining.

filler 004.JPG

filler 005.JPG

filler 001.JPG

• Like 2

Guest CFrance729

Looks good.
Good to know if I ever do it, that it shouldn't be too hard. Then again the car will probably be sold before then so, eh.

Also, trying to pull out the bumper didn't work. I'm thinking I need to replace the shocks.