190? Automobile in Illinois photo about 1904

Guest missM

Guest missM

Anyone able to identify this? at first thought steam with the sight gage, but looks like a hand crank and the gage for fuel maybe? the filligree or whatever on the front seems to be a clue?kfRxZ4u.jpg5OMZgwe.jpg

Guest missM
10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

It is a steam powered car, not a popular make. Bob

so the crank at the right hand is a throttle or brake maybe? and the big lever is part of the steering tiller? interesting automobile, and I see your point, maybe one of a very few, or one off even.

Thanks for everyone that has looked.

My guess is that the side crank just goes back and forth 180% and may pump water from the holding tank into the boiler, no need for it to spin 360% if it could without hitting the vertical tiller shaft. Note the rear view mirror by the drivers foot  that lets the driver see that water sight gauge in the back. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest missM
20 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

My guess is that the side crank just goes back and forth 180% and may pumps water from the holding tank into the boiler, no need for it to spin 3605 if it could without hitting the vertical tiller shaft. Note the rear view mirror by the drivers foot  that lets the driver see that water sight gauge in the back. Bob

sounds right, thanks for the input. very interesting on the mirror to check the water. imagine this was a very practical vehicle for the day.