1965 console shifter

Rivdrivn

So, my car is fairly nice but it came with many missing parts which makes assembly quite perplexing at times. The latest mystery is the piece that slides along at the base of the shifter when changing gears. It seems to be missing something to keep it in place. Any ideas?post-132429-0-77771100-1458183397_thumb.

Greetings!     You appear to be missing the metal "housing" which attaches to the underside of the upper trim plate. It not only serves as a guide for the shifter on the right, but also as receptacle for the bulb which illuminates the PRNDL on the left. It attaches to the trim plate with 4 chrome screws which go down through the 4 holes and into two unusual spring clips on the underside. The other component is a flexible black plastic strip with a hole which slides down over the shifter and acts as a dust shield....however, in your pic that dust strip appears to be on the seat under the trim plate. The bottom part, which you appear to need, should be fairly easy to find.  It may find you...I'll wager a few of the people who frequent this forum have several of those things somewhere out in their shed and may respond. If not, you'll find someone who does in the Review Magazine want ads. I've gotten lots of good stuff for my 65' from Gene at AB&G (abandg@aol.com) Good luck, Drew

I've got the part you need.  You'll need to remove the lamp housing from yours and add to mine, and you'll need to find the black piece that goes over the shifter lever and slides through the housing as you move the shifter.  PM me and we can discuss price.

20160320_130808.thumb.jpg.8156ec17ab929b