brake drum

I have a 48 LC and am trying to replace the brakes but the rear driver side drum will not come off. I have tried heat arownd the shaft but still no luck. Any suggestions <P>Dano

Hi Dano, a common and perplexing problem on old Ford products, I would highly recommend going to a tool rental place, and getting a good heavy duty drum puller, the kind that bolts to 3 lug nuts and has a large screw pushing against the end of the axle, turn the axle nut out flush with the end of the axle, so when you apply a lot of pressure on the puller it will not distort the axle threads, heat is not the best idea, and should only be used in extreme cases, as the heat can make the axle weaker, and lead to breaking, good luck-

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dano sometimes the brake rivets have made a grove in the drum maybe if you back off the adjuster you can git it free. If you heat it stay in one spot , Good luck .Scott

• 1 month later...

Hi, There is a guy in CA who sells a brake drum puller for old V8 Fords and it will also work on Lincoln drums. It pulls on the grove on the center neck of the drum and not on the wheel studs. I have one and have used it on a 47 Lincoln. It worked very well. The cost is about $60. His e-mail is Royce36@aol.com