1931 Buick Model 67 overall length?

Guest lelandEOD

Guest lelandEOD

Gents,

I'm trying to finalize the purchase of an enclosed car trailer to bring my father's '31 sedan home.  I've searched in vain but can't come up with an honest overall length measurement for this car online.  I see wheelbase measurements, but I really need bumper to bumper length to select a trailer that will work well for my needs.  I'll be driving the car across country from Tennessee to Nevada and, due to timing and logistics, can't easily take measurements until I've already bought a trailer.

If anyone can point me to a reliable cube data for the model 67 sedan, it would greatly reduce my stress and frustration as I plan the recovery of my father's car.  

Many thanks!

Rats, I should have checked this post earlier before I left my shop. Tomorrow, I may be able to get you a measurement that would be + or - 4" as I would have to approximate bumper allowance because my bumpers are off.

Have you tried contacting someone close to the car and have them lay a tape measure on the floor and get as close as possible? Seems like it ought to be a quick thing to do.

Let me know if you need my measurement. I'll ask my Dad to do this tomorrow as I'll not be going to the shop.

Good luck,

Joel

Guest lelandEOD

Thanks, gents.  I was able to find one source that had the vehicle length listed as 175" or 14.58 feet.  I was just really hesitant to make such a significant decision off of one uncorroborated data point so your input is very reassuring.  This 8-67 also has a luggage rack and steamer trunk, but I recall it can fold up with the trunk removed so I'm hoping it doesn't stick out past the rear bumper.  I'm really looking for a 24' trailer, but may have to pounce on a 20' which will only leave a few feet, front and rear.  

Thanks for the input, fellas!

Leland I was going to tell you that my 1932 67 is just under 16' with trunk in place.  I have a 24' enclosed trailer that I use and it has cabinets in the front and I still have plenty of room.  I have a spare tire in a floor box at the front and the car does not come far enough to block it.  I use a combination of the 'basket' type tie downs on the rear of the car and they are connected to floor strips I installed.  In the front while I have the baskets I use the standard tie downs cris-crossed and this arrangement has worked well on trips all across the country from Colorado to the East Coast and Texas to Iowa.  I have been going to BCA National meets since 2009 and have worked my way up the AACA ladder to the National Senior Award.  

I did install an electric jack and that is the smartest thing I did since us old guys don't need to be cranking on a trailer tongue with a 5000# car in the trailer.  I have a battery in the trailer and it is tied to my tow vehicle when the lights are connected and gets charged by the tow vehicle when connected. I also use a load leveling hitch on a Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel pickup.

post-81093-0-14715100-1458078811_thumb.j

Edited by chuckfmtexas (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest lelandEOD

Thanks for the reply, Chuck.  I ended up buying an open trailer and am glad I did.  The main reason for the direction change was the realization that my other toy car (a Toyota FJ40) stands 7' tall and wouldn't fit in an enclosed trailer.  I ended up buying a Sundowner Sunlite 19' trailer which was more than enough length for my air compressor and Buick.  We made the trip from Tennessee to Nevada last week and it towed really well.  I am in love with torsion axles now!

Anyway, as soon as I get settled, I will take aim on the '31 and start the process of deciding what to do with the car.

C03FD4C4-548A-42A0-ABD7-5615C4CF8968_zpsojy35gyk.JPG

Edited by lelandEOD (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

The 8-67 is 179" in length with rear mount spare, bumpers on and no trunk. I know because I recently bought one and measured it prior to purchase to verify it would fit in my garage space.  I know this post is aged but in case anyone was still wondering.... I have most other exterior measurements also if anyone wants them.