12 volt starter?

I have a 12 volt starter, that was installed on the 40 Z I have, I didn't notice that it was 12 volt until I cleaned it up for re-installation. The engine did turn over slowly, but started the engine OK.<BR>since I'm re-building the engine to original spec's would a 6 volt starter improve the turning the engine for faster starting? The rest of the systems are all 6 volt.<P>Bill Uhouse shocked.gif" border="0

BOY, Bill, you don't usually throw such soft-balls, no question that a 6 volt starter will turn faster with a 6 volt battery than a 12 volt, and a good 6 v starter is capable of being jumped repeatedly with a 12 v battery with no problems, and will spin 90 MPH, and start so quick you can't believe it, just don't leave 12 v on the coil very long, or you will regret it, good luck-

THANKS ROLF, Yeah I didn't have the 12 volt starter spec's to determine if they were compatible with the 6 volt starters! I had not put 12 volts on the system, but I think the previous owner did, as some areas of the old harnesses were damaged. All my wiring harnesses are new, and I'm strickly staying with the 6 volt battery for my restoration.<BR>So I guess I'll just order a 6 volt starter.<P>Bill