C Carl

CADILLAC CARL'S EPIC 1927 (MIS ?)-ADVENTURE

Hi , everyone , I started to reply with 4 pics earlier. Seemed to lock up again. Worked on a couple of other matters on my iPad , and things opened up again. I will try to post the pics again now , for later comment. I want to get going North in the direction of Death. Still cool here in the desert , sun angle low , cool pavement , and a tailwind is picking up. What a day to do the remotest part of the trip ! I seem to remember there was a reason for the Valley to have earned its ominous name ! Wish me luck !  -  Carl

• Like 1

Went visiting while in S.B. Some interesting banter for later. I am an hour later than I expected to be because of an unexpected wrong number I received. Talked for an hour. But of this , much more later. The tailwind has shifted to a headwind ! Gulp. Here I  go , very slowly.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

It took about 20 seconds to post these pics ! Several tries over many hours yesterday could not get one on. These were taken with my iPad , so with the wide angle lense , everything looks smaller and farther away. Drove into a strong (25+ mph ?) headwind in the heat (low-mid 90s ?) over a hot road re-radiating into the undercarriage . It is worth repeating what some of the younger drivers used to modern machinery may not fully realize. Slow WAY down driving ancient machinery into the wind. I drove 25. Luckily had plenty of time , and a few times took steepest parts of grades in 2nd. It was a relief to finally head downwind on the 4 lane highway into 'Vegas. No more roaring wind noise , I could hear my sweet strong engine again. The Cadillac was a real Cadillac all the way , but I am beat , and can't quite figure out my logistics yet. Las Vegas TV weather report says rain Friday , and then on and off G.N. week. But rain here is not what I am used to. I think a few sprinkles here and there from time to time over several days is a newsworthy event. They did say the word "thunderstorms" , though.  -  Tired , old , Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Pics loading extremely well. Let me put more on to give you a good idea of yesterday's run. Cars used to cross the desert in 1927 , some in better shape than mine. The synthetic lubricants I use throughout give me a margin of protection they did not have. Mid '20s Cadillacs were reliable cars not prone to overheating. They would have had to deal with unpaved roads which would be a deal breaker for me , of course.  -  Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

You can monitor my engine temp on the journey from the frequent shots including the Motometer. Mechanical backup showed temp never got above the low 170s. Rain predicted to start tonight and continue through Monday. I have been advised to prepare well for it , as torrential downpours happen in situations such as this. This is an unusual system for this time of year. Monsoon pattern. I am 20 miles from the host hotel , and must move as they are booked up Friday and Saturday nights here. I have to figure out a way to seek refuge , clean the car , and get everything (too much stuff) out of it. I don't understand the nature of the first scheduled event , a car show set for Sunday. I would love to be there , weather permitting. Do any of you have info about this show ?  -  Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

You can monitor my engine temp on the journey from the frequent shots including the Motometer. Mechanical backup showed temp never got above the low 170s. Rain predicted to start tonight and continue through Monday. I have been advised to prepare well for it , as torrential downpours happen in situations such as this. This is an unusual system for this time of year. Monsoon pattern. I am 20 miles from the host hotel , and must move as they are booked up Friday and Saturday nights here. I have to figure out a way to seek refuge , clean the car , and get everything (too much stuff) out of it. I don't understand the nature of the first scheduled event , a car show set for Sunday. I would love to be there , weather permitting. Do any of you have info about this show ?  -  Carl

I have no idea how or why there is redundancy in the posting. At least it didn't double up on the pics as it did once before!  - Carl

I'm still following along, Carl ... &, from the additional pics you've posted, wish I was riding along right with you!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!
"The world rolls by a million miles away" __ James Taylor __ 'Our Town'

Had a chance to ride shotgun yesterday. Taught a couple quick learners from CLC to drive a crashbox Caddy ! We all enjoyed it very much. Without any planning , we ended up here by chance. The car ran GREAT ! I didn't think to bring my camera , so these are wide angle shots from my iPad. Scenery appeared  much closer , and of course more impressive in real life. Red Rock will see this Cad many more times , as the host hotel is nearby. I wish each and every one of you were here with me , as I am always thinking about you. Pretty busy with more activities than I really have time for. I am sometimes still answering questions until 2:00 AM. I love it , of course !  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Uh , well , I clicked the worst of 3 pics of the instruments under way. This is clearer. Upper right is fuel level , below it amps. Upper left is fuel pressure (this system uses air pressure to push fuel through the lines). Works very well at around 2 psi. Below is oil pressure. Warmed up at cruise speed it reads high 20s to 30 running 20w-50 Amsoil synthetic. This is a superb oil , extremely synthetic with a good dose of phosphorus and zinc. It has good low temp performance for such heavy oil. In some low temp instances it has some characteristics of a 5w-50. Source : Richard Widman's 33 page dissertation on the right oil for flat tappet engines. For the record , these engines use rollers on finger followers.  - Carl

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The old Cadillac looks happy . It lovingly holds affirmation . It is also making Bob and Bob (airline pilot , and A&P mechanic) very happy. Carl is exhausted , but the Cad eagerly eats up miles sight seeing. I need sleep. Now.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Above pics show the trip yesterday on the 13 mile Red Rock loop. With help of other drivers , I learned to drive one handed. My left wrist is causing problems , but luckily my entire right wing remains quite useable. At this point , I am thinking about letting the return trip wait for cooler weather. Not because of the reliable old Cad , but it would be less risky for the unreliable old driver.  Old folk far healthier than I am drop in the heat. Dehydration could sneak up. I had hoped to introduce the '27 and '24 to each other this Summer. The two together would make for great pics. Something to look forward to.  - CC

• Like 2

Hi , Ben & All , the old Cadillac is circulating again. A garage guest in the Eastern environs of 'Vegas now. Handy access to the Lake Mead area. A few days ago we went on a Sunset cruise to the Sunset Overlook. Gave the opportunity to get some headlight pics. After a delay here due to recovery time from illness , it is definitely smart to wait until Winter comes 'round again for the return trip. So be it. The car itself seems quite content in the heat here. Temps well into the 90s don't affect it much , as long as it is rolling along sucking plenty of cooling air through the carb. Stop and go traffic makes the intake/carb temp go up quickly , and surging and fragile idle set in. Nothing remotely as difficult as back when the coil was wired backwards , fortunately. Water temp stays in the 160 - 165 range with speeds in the mid - high 30s to low 40s or a bit more depending on wind and grade. A fellow CLC member who is hosting the car is becoming a good crashbox driver. I am now getting a chance to spend long periods riding in the back seat. Great fun to enjoy the spectacular views surrounded by ancient automotive elegance from that vantage point.  - CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2