Sign in to follow this  

Radiator

Does anyone have any advice on getting a 40 Zephyr Radiator re-cored? I have been told by a local radiator shop that mine is shot. :

Hi, would not take the radiator shop's word too quick, what does the radiator do? Does it leak? Heat up? Have obvious repairs and patches? These are the things to look for, and then make the decision to spend up to $500.00 for a quality re-core, it may well be that the rugged old Zephyr radiator will limp along for quite a while yet, just my opinion

All they have told me so far is that they opened it up to clean it and the fins are so brittle that they are breaking. Their suggestion was that it was just too fragile and should be re-cored. What questions should I be asking them? confused.gif" border="0

Sounds like they are going the "rod out" route which requires taking off the tanks and physically running a rod down each tube, you never said why you took it to the shop in the first place, but it may just need a "boil-out" which doesn't require taking off the tanks, depends on what is wrong with it, nothing wrong with a new core, just expensive, my opinion, brittle fins will carry away the heat just as good as non brittle ones.

I took it in to simply get it flushed and cleaned. Not knowing much about radiators, I didn't understand exactly how they would do this. They are telling me that it is just too brittle to even clean it so I guess I am either stuck with it the way it is or I have to get a re-core.