Re-silvering rear view mirror

Rolf

Hi everybody, my new car is missing the rear view mirror, and a friend says he has one that needs to be resilvered, anyone had this done?? How did it work, and what does it cost? Thanks a lot, Rolf

• 2 weeks later...

Rolf ~ Resilvering is fine. If it is a flipper mirror, then you have to have it resilvered because the glass is basically a prism. When I was in that line of business in the '60s it cost a couple of bucks. Today it is whatever the shop wants for the job. If I had one that needed resilvering I would not balk at up to 20 bucks.<P>I know of one company doing that work:<P>Chaudron Glass & Mirror Co<BR>???? Lovegrove St.<BR>Baltimore, MD 21218<P>You can probably find a phone number from one of the internet directories. I doubt that they have a website<P>I know they are across the country from you, but with an item that size it is no problem to mail. They are reputable and good at what they do, and that is important. They have been in business for over 100 years.<P>Just re-read your post before posting this. If your mirror is one of the late '30s to'50s<BR>type where the mirror is rolled into the frame, forget it. You will never get it out without ruining the frame or breaking the glass. My reply applies <B>ONLY</B> to those mirrors that come apart easily. ~ hvs

ALL RIGHT hvs!!! That is exactly what I wanted to know, the fact is that a 1941 has the glass sealed up tight in a metal frame, and without a "magic bullet" type of fix, looks like it is a real problem, thanks very much

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rolf.<BR> I am missing the inside rear view mirror. just found a good one from bob boos. he breaks out the bad glass and has a new piece cut to fit snug and the epoxys it in place.<BR> much cheaper than buying a new mirror.