1947 Power Window question

ThomasBorchers

Have this problem with our 1947 Lincoln: This car has hydraulic power windows and when I push the button for the window up, the window goes down. When I push the button down, the window goes down, too. Since some time one window moved itself to the down position. Ok, I think there must be a leak in the hydraulic system. I have found the motor for this system in the engine room but where is the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid for the power windows? I?ve no shop manual so perhaps someone can help me?<BR>Thanks in advance.<BR>Tom<BR><P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you push the button up you are supposed to be energizing the pump. You can hear it from inside or have someone listen. When you push the button down you are activating a valve that releases the fluid in the cylinder tha the pump forced in to raise the window. If by pushing up the window comes down then it would appear that you have aa short in the system. You can check the switches by using a sharp pointed object which is inserted at the bottom of the switches to release a clip to allow you to pull the switch out w/o removing the panel. You w/ see a small hole on the bottom side of the switch. You push straight up to release. Once out you w/ have direct contact with the 3 wires and can do checks. The hot wire is in the middle. If you have a leak you w/ want to fix it quickly. The fluid doesn't like anything!! Jim

Hi Jim.<BR>The problem is now that I can't hear the pump if I push the button up for the rear windows. There must be an electrical problem. At the front they work now. After a short while of pumping the window went up and is still after some month in the upper position.<P>Tom<p>[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: ThomasBorchers ]