NEW "Harford Horn" for New Year?

Just received the January issue of <I>The Harford Horn</I> and found color ink in some of the graphics! What have you done, Bruce? shocked.gif" border="0 <P>A while back you stated that you thought color ink would be too expensive for the Harford Region's newsletter and now this! You ought to be ashamed for draining the club's treasury just for a little colored ink! frown.gif" border="0 <P>Seriously, the January issue looks good and I especially enjoyed the way you recapped 2001. What method did you use to add color to the pages? Keep up the good work! grin.gif" border="0

Ron,<P>Thank you for your kind comments about our little rag. They are appreciated very much.<BR>It was a pleasant surprise to see anything written on the DF about the HORN. grin.gif" border="0 <P>I don't know if you would call it "new" but there are many changes planned for the HORN this year. The changes you saw in the January issue are just a few of the ones planned to be incorporated this year. I am using some "new and improved methods" for producing the HORN that are far different from past practices and should make it more cost efficient and higher quality.<P>Last year, the treasurer started to grumble loudly about the costs incurred in the newsletter causing it to go over budget (it seems that the additional $480 raised from paid advertisements in the newsletter ended up in the general fund and not credited towards the newsletter budget). I thought sure I would receive a cease and desist order on my new changes from the region president. However, after tlaking it over with the president, she seems to realize the importance of a newsletter and told me to not worry ... and not to reduce any quality I have implemented over the old one. And the VP who will be President next year is even much more enthusiastic about the newsletter so I should have plenty of support from the President through the next couple of years.<P>The only problem I am having now is the same as you were having.... contributions. I ask and ask.. get positive replies.. but seldom get anything. Its difficult for one person (me) to write all of the articles. My feeble brain can't think that hard to write that much. confused.gif" border="0 <P>Oh well.. will fight one fire at a time. wink.gif" border="0<P>Thanks again Ron! smile.gif" border="0

I also need the secret. I'm doing a newsletter for a small club of about 300, The Marmon Club, and would like to do some color, but am budget constraint. It will cost something like $275 for one page of color. What process are you using? If you don't respond on this DF I gaurantee that I will chase you down at the Annual Meeting and beat it out of you. grin.gif" border="0 Best wishes, your life is on the line. wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

Father Ron...<BR> I don't wish to be one of those who will have the "secret" beaten out of them in Philly so I offer the following, in hopes of saving me from a beating! shocked.gif" border="0 <BR> I can tell you that Bruce and I are both using a color printer to inject "color" into our newsletters. Since you are producing 300 copies, I would think that you would want to limit "color" to one or two pages since printing time can take a while. Let your print shop produce the rest of the newsletter in black and white. rolleyes.gif" border="0<BR> As for costs, my Canon BJC-6000 printer cost $150 and has been superceded by another model by now at a similar price. My main reason for choosing Canon was the cost of ink. Many color printers use a "black" cartridge and a "color" cartridge. When the color cartridge runs out of one of the three colors you have to throw the whole thing away and relace it at a cost of $30 and up. The Canon uses 4 separate ink tanks and when one color runs out you replace that ink tank for about $12.<BR> I'll be bringing some copies of <BR><I>The Rambler</I> with me to Philly so you can see what this printer produces. I'll save a copy for you just to fend off a beating! grin.gif" border="0

OK, I won't chase you down grin.gif" border="0 however I will look forward to getting a copy of your newsletter. Now for a couple of questions:<P>You obviously compared the costs of cartridges in your selection. Are there comparable numbers of pages that can be printed and what about print speed?<BR>Have you calculated the cost per page?<P>Interesting that you print directly off the computer. Did you consider a color copier? They are more expensive, but I wonder if speed and cartridges might make up for the difference. Did you also give that some research?<P>These are not idle questions. While much of the Marmon literature is B&W, there is enough of the period literature in fantastic colors that I dislike the need to convert them to grayscale. An of course current photos will look so much better.<P>Your comments track well with what I have been thinking - a color front page and the rest in b&w or grayscale. <P>Thanx! smile.gif" border="0

I must have been a very good boy last year because Mrs. Santa left me an HP 1220C Professional Series color printer under the Christmas tree (and I didn't even ask for a printer)<P>This is probably not the type of printer that most editors would purchase but it does handle the 11 x 17 paper that I use for the Harford Horn. A five year guarantee means the club won't have any service contract on it for that time. They will be paying for ink and paper.<P>I like using the 11 x 17 paper folded to make an almost "magazine style" newsletter. No one seems to make a small color copier anymore that handles the large paper. The only copiers I found capable of handeling the 11 x 17 paper were professional office models the size of a compact car and cost anywhere from 3K and up.<P>The 1220C has a maximimum print speed of up to 9-11 pages per minute. Speed would vary depending on the number of color images. I plan on using color mostly for headings and maybe a few color photographs. The ink cartridges can be bought for about $13.00 a piece compared to the $20.00 a piece we were paying for toner for the old b&w Canon copier. One thing about the printer cartridges is that refill kits can be purchased for extremely low costs. There was nothing like that for the Canon copier we have; I don't know if other copiers have such things available.<P>With our small number of issues per month (approx 80) the extra time of printing straight from a printer is not that major of concern... especially if it provides the HArford membership with a higher quality, and more appealing product.<P>Im not saying this is the way to go for other editors and other may have a better way. But it is generations ahead of what I had to work with before and I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth (or should that be a gift printer in the cartridge?).<BR> <BR>I agree, that for the 300 member Marmon club, you may want to keep color to the cover and grayscale for the remainder if you want to keep costs down. The club is large for a region but small for a National Club and I am sure you will want the most cost efective means. Even the Antique Automobile, with a membership of over 60,000 is mostly black and white except for the covers.

Ron,<P>I use to print the Brass-Nickel newsletter with a HP 1120 (the older version of Bruce's) and it did an excellent job. But, when I upgraded to Windows ME, the HP1120 was no longer supported. As a temporary measure, I bought a $49 Xerox - which uses separate ink cartridges - and it has done remarkably well. However, this was a temporary solution. <P>For a year, I have been looking at printers and have decided that after Philly I am buying the new HP 1700. This is their lower end business printer that can handle 5,000 copies/month. It is also wide format and you can purchase an auto-duplex unit for automatic double-sided printing. It prints 16ppm in black, 14.5ppm in color and has a max color resolution of 2400x1200. All this and it has 4 separate cartridges that run about $34 each. A must for me - for some reason with the Brass-Nickel I use a lot of yellow. The cost of the printer is $499.<P>Ten years ago we bought the HP 1200, which we still have and use. This also was a low end business printer. It has given us excellent service. I do not mean to sound like a HP commercial but for the volume of copies you are talking about a home ink jet just will not work. With 14.5ppm color that equates to about 20 minutes print time for 300 copies. Do-able. On average, how many pages does the Marmon run each month.

Fortunately I am getting excellent support from our members and inherited a good accumulation of articles backlog, so I am running 16 pages front and back. My first issue was May-June and I went immediately to a 8 1/2 X 11, 3-hole punch format. Have had very good feedback from the members on this format.<P>Am also using HP - 970Cse printer,290 color copier, and Scanjet 5370C. I do all photos in digital with Photoshop 6 and format with QuarkXPress. Am finally getting the feel of the photos and how they should look on the monitor to survive my printer for a master and subsequent operations at Quality Quick. <P>I really appreciate these discussions re color additions. Looking forward to sitting down for more at the Annual Meeting. wink.gif" border="0