Website Serminar In Philly

Last year Peter put on a very good seminar in Philly about web sites for regions. Peter's talk was very interesting, in fact that is why I put ours together. With the web you can reach a lot more people. Just look at the way the AACA site has grown.<P>What about a seminar similar to the Newsletter one given by website people. On what they have done, where to get info,how to do different things to make their sites more interesting. I know I have learned some interesting things some the newsletter seminars I attended in Philly, and hopefully some people have learned things from me during my two times as a participant.<P>What do you think?

Ruth,<BR> This is a great suggestion. The only request that I have is that it not conflict schedule wise with the newsletter or library seminar. My problem is that multiple seminars that I want to attend, or are involved in, occur at the same time. I still struggle with defining what audience we are reaching on the web. The hits to our site dropped dramatically when we scrolled off the AACA Homepage. This tells me that our own members are not accessing the website in any significant numbers. At our last Board meeting we discussed eliminating the printed newsletter and using the web site only for communication. I think that is premature; but it would save several hundred dollars monthly in printing and postage. Region presence on the web is in its infancy and will develop and change rapidly. A forum to discuss these matters would be very helpful.<P>jnp

OK, You guys keep putting me in a corner, but I wouldn't want to be in a corner with a better bunch (if they exist). Will start the ball rolling to have a website seminar at Philly. Have two excellent seminar speakers in the other two people on this thread. Any more volunteers?<P>Now let's get a list of topics to be covered. Come back with your suggestions.<P>Also, stand by for some new info on the Website Update Support Group and for some questions regarding the website contest. Will be putting these on this location in the next few days.

Ron,<P>Rick and me will volunteer to help with the websight semnar at Philly. We will give the instrcutions on keyboard' punctuation and the spelling check thing. wink.gif We could do that.<P>Dan<p>[This message has been edited by D Binger (edited 07-04-2000).]

Ron<P>You wanted a topic or two to use for the seminar.<P>How about how to add animation and sound to your site?<P>I still trying to figure this out.<P>Also included should be reference books used ie. Front Page Tuturial or other ones that show the person just how to do things in a simple to understand way. Some books I have seen you need your doctorate to understand them.

• 1 month later...

I think a website seminar is a great idea. I always got a lot out of the newsletter seminars, and I can't imagine a website seminar would be any less informative.<P>Here are topics I would suggest:<BR>- ABC's of starting the website (many regions haven't yet made the jump)<BR>- Minimum requirements for content (to help get started)<BR>- Website do's and don't's (gosh, is that how you type it?) <BR>- Offer TWO seminars, one for those just getting started, and a second for those with more than basic knowledge or who are looking for specific technical help for more full-featured websites. (I attended Peter's seminar with my husband, and I found it very informative. Unfortunately, I had to explain much of the content to my husband, because he is fatally technology-challenged. I wondered if Peter and some of those asking and answering questions were talking over the heads of a lot of the people in the room. This could scare off some potential web editors.)

I designed the BNTC web page for Microsoft Internet Explorer. People who use Netscape have told me that they have problems loading it. And, I have noticed that it does not quite look the same as it did in Explorer. I know the two versions are not 100% compatible. There must be some do's and do not's on trying to design a web site for both versions - short of maintaining two separate web pages and offering the viewer a choice. Could this be a possible topic? Thanks.<P>24T42 <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/bntc/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/bntc/</A> <BR>

The best way to handle that is to make sure your coding complies with HTML standard. Both browsers are noncompliant in their own ways. Netscape is notorious for misinterpreting standard table codes. Explorer has its irritating quirks as well. Unless you want to reprogram your pages all the time, just stick to HTML standard and let the browsers catch up.<P>If you have a webpage that is truly thrashed by a browser's noncompliance, just put a note on it warning viewers of the problem.<P>Cheeers,<BR>Bry

OK - Just talked to Peter and he is planning to be in Philly in Feb for Annual Meeting. We will request two seminars - one for beginners and basic AACA website operations like we had last year and one a bit more advanced which will include, if we can find a good candidate, actual demo of getting a new region or chapter website online.<P>I'll work the problem of getting two seminars - no guarantees but we'll try. Would like a volunteer to compile notes from these threads and put together a list of topics that everyone want's covered in one or both of the seminars. Any takers??