HELP ME ID USE OF MILITARY VEHICLE

<BR>Hello, first post. Trying to ID USE of<BR>1939 Ford 1.5 Ton Panel CONVERSION.<BR>Well over a year of hard research hasn't<BR>told me WHAT THIS THING WAS USED FOR!<BR>Ex-Calfornia National Guard. Converted<BR>BEFORE it was delivered new. I'll GLADLY<BR>send you e-pics. Thank You, Don Kenyon

Don: <P>With Military Vehicles, you almost have to speak with people involved in the Guard, or, Active Duty from that era. I would contact the military vehicle associations that exist. National may be able to help, especially through the excellent Library facilities we have.<P>I spent 11 months at Fort Hood, Texas prior to serving 17 months in Vietnam. While stationed at both, I witnessed, and, participated in "on the demand, convert whatever was available to suit the mission".<P>The motor pools, especially in IV Corp, Mekong Delta, were constantly altering vehicles... anything from re-mounting a heavier calibre machine gun on a jeep, to cutting sheet metal a deuce and a half tailgate.<P>One thing that may help in your search, is most alterations were "learned, tried, and, prooved-out" by a grunt before you.<P>Peter J.<P>------------------<BR>heizmann<BR>senior member

A very good point regarding mods on military vehicles. I also served in Nam as the company commander of a maintenence company. Unauthorized mods such as armor plated floorboards on jeeps were common. Trying to find a documented mod on certain military vehicles, especially if they were prototype mods in the field may be very difficult. We need to see the pics.

Ron & Don:<P>As Ron stated, to see a picture would be great. This is a very interesting post.<P>Ron: Sorry to change the subject, but, it would be nice to meet you and trade Vietnam experiences. I will be in Class 25 (Red 1972 TR-6) Both of you stop by if you have a chance.<P>Peter J.<P>------------------<BR>heizmann<BR>senior member