Fisher Body tag questions

hermanangus

Hi, I have what appears to be a numbers matching 64 Riv Super Wildcat coming into my possession, but I am having a little trouble figuring out the Fisher body codes. I have two questions

1-What is the difference between 2D Air Conditioning Modification and 2K Air conditioner? Does 2D mean the AC was removed?

2-Between Trim and Paint I have   624   SCO -78-48   *, I understand the 624 for white Vinyl and the mysterious star, but what are the  letters and numbers? I was expecting a single letter paint code.

Please take a look and tell me what you think.  Thanks,

post-156384-0-47213000-1457337414_thumb.

Herman,

You have a very unusual car. The air conditioning modification was basically the A/C option without the actual refrigeration system. This is the equivalent of a heavy duty cooling option.

Fisher Body special paint treatment in terms of the actual markings on the plate seem to be all over the board depending on the actual plant and model year. Some plants use an arbitrary order number which requires the original order paper work to decipher, some use an actual paint code from the time period, some use a character that denotes special paint like a blank, dash, or "O",  and I have witnessed the actual name of the color spelled out or abbreviated. Your tag appears to be an upper and lower actual paint code. I dont know what "78" is but it appears the "48" may be a `63 Cadillac color called Briar Rose. Examination of multiple 1964 Flint produced Fisher Body SCO plates may enable you to establish a pattern from which you can draw concrete conclusions re the standard operating procedure in Flint in `64.

If you could post pics of what you think are the original colors that would certainly be helpful. Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Hey Tom, thanks for the reply, I have it from word of mouth that the car was some sort of Rose color before it had a red re-spray, so that makes sense. I wasn't sure if I was just missing something or if this was a custom paint job. Once I get it into my garage I will take a closer look as the re-spray is failing in areas, maybe I will figure out what the two tone may have been. I'll put up some more pics once I get it home. Thanks again.

Hey Tom, I haven't been able to find any other Fisher plates with the SCO, and  the only candidate I have found to go with the paint code 48= 63 Caddy Briar Rose is 78= a 62 Willys Red. Possible but unlikely. I am taking delivery on Sunday so maybe I can see. Thanks again for your help, and I will post some pics when I can.