1931 Series 90 Coupe Trunk handle and mechanism

Guest dhmartin59

Guest dhmartin59

I have a 1931 Series 90 Buick 5 person Buick coupe that is in need of a trunk handle and the entire metal housing mechanism that the handle uses to secure the truck lid closed. I'm really at a loss as to how and go about getting this whole mechanism built or replaced. I see handles on eBay, but I need the metal housing the handle latches to before I get the handle.

Any suggestions how to go about building or replacing the metal housing for the trunk?

post-156381-0-87779900-1457307736_thumb.

Some cars of that age, used a latch body much like a door latch.

They were usually a basic L-shape made of steel.  I would think many wood framed car door latch or trunk/rumble latch could be used.  ebay? might have a used latch and then ask the seller for the size

PS   your muffler laying on the fabric roof will make a permanent dent in the fabric and stuffing....if it sits a long time

Check and see if a reproduction 1932 Chevy mechanism will fit. I put one on the deck lid of a 30 Cadillac and you can not tell the difference once it is installed and covered over. Works perfectly.  As for the locking handle try Mike Butters 905-372-6926 for a new one. The old ones are made of pot metal turn brittle with age and break in use.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dhmartin59

Thanks for the insight and suggestions. This will be my next project on the Buick. Yes, the old latch literally broke apart in my hands when I tried to insert a trunk handle. Thanks again guys.

You can go to www.classicautoandmachine.com (Pete Sanders, who bought Charlie Selick's stuff and also has a machine shop) and find a picture of a latch he sells for 31 Cadillac rumble seat lids. The latch is the same as the one used for the golf club door also. His parts are expensive, but it is an option, and perhaps seeing the picture might give you some ideas in any case. Good luck.