Question regarding the four speed trans in a 1928 614

nzcarnerd

Does anyone have information regarding the ratios of the Warner four speed used in this model? Is fourth gear an overdrive or is it like the four speed I once drove in a Packard which had a low crawler first gear and the rest like a normal three speed?  I think the same box was used in some other cars but I am not sure which - Chryslers maybe?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Fourth is the same as third in the three speed so 1:1.  They inserted a really low first gear and ramped up the rear axle ratio to get the speed.  The three speed  rear axle was either 4.1:1 or 4.7:1, the 4.7:1 was carried into the 612 and the 4.4:1 was only available in the early cars.  You will find yours is 3.?:1 or the like.

Do you have a parts manual?  I am pretty sure the ratios are in that, I don't have a 614 one only 610, 612 and 615.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, Aussie_610 said:

Fourth is the same as third in the three speed so 1:1.  They inserted a really low first gear and ramped up the rear axle ratio to get the speed.  The three speed  rear axle was either 4.1:1 or 4.7:1, the 4.7:1 was carried into the 612 and the 4.4:1 was only available in the early cars.  You will find yours is 3.?:1 or the like.

Do you have a parts manual?  I am pretty sure the ratios are in that, I don't have a 614 one only 610, 612 and 615.

Just came back to this one  Sorry for not replying earlier.

The car is not mine, but belongs to an acquaintance  - now 75 - who finally completed a restoration a couple of years ago after nearly 40 years of off and on work.

Re the rear axle I was told it is 3.9:1.

The car was out on a run last Sunday. He told me he has a given it quite a bit of use over the last year, covering nearly 5,000 miles.

The reason for my enquiry is that his brother, who did a lot of the mechanical work on the car, is convinced the top gear in the box is an overdrive. I know it is not, as you do. Just convincing him is the problem.

I am sure if it was an overdrive it would not be a silent gear. The 1930 Packard I drove has a similar box. That car has an overdrive added to the rear of the gear box. I don't know what it is from - someone suggested something agricultural. Whatever it is it makes a distinctive hum when it is engaged. The owner is hard of hearing so it never mattered to him.

I have seen the you tube video about the 1928 Graham-Paige Warner box. It is very convincing. I just have to persuade the person in question to believe it.

IMG_8343 (1024x768).jpg

Interesting, its running 1929 Bumpers and taillight,  1928 The bumperette's didn't have the centre pins.  They had over riders that held that end in.  also the taillight was a simple round one like a dodge/chrysler.  I will see if I can find a photo or the rear of my sedan (my tourer uses the earlier wrap around bumpers).

It might be a 615?  That would be a 1929 model, but it could have been registered in 1928.  Do you have the VIN number?  It would be on the right side of the car (looking forward) under the rear carpet next to the sill plate for the rear door.  The engine number might help.  The transmission is what we call a "Granny gear" first gear is just for getting out of sticky situations, mud.  2,3,4 are just like a normal 3 speed of the age, in fact the 612 version of the car just has a 3 speed.

This Graham Paige training film will tell you all about it, the car is a 619 but same transmission, well almost, same gear ratios....

https://youtu.be/gAwuv_aYm34

Great looking Graham-Paige

610 has the crank hole lower with just a half moon design, but I thought the 615 and 614 and 612 shells are the same? (I did not check the Graham parts list)

image.png.9b93782efcdb5d8ec8dea6317b058dc3.png610 (notice Crank hole, no frame cross bar) 1928 should also be nickel

image.png.812c03e6b28b209879fc1b6a0f339090.png614 (notice Crank hole and frame cross bar and hood louvers 1928) Nickel

image.png.2d3a26168d78cef6a1268b0cc942eae5.png615 (notice crank hole and frame cross bar and hood louvers 1929 ) Chrome

• 4 weeks later...

I will have to compare my 612 and 615 radiators to check if they are interchangeable....  This may explain my odd radiator that's a mix of 1928 and 1929....  I always thought it was a mash up repair (may still be :) )..   614 would have a different raised section around the hole for the grill insert whereas the 1929s just rolled into the grill insert

Edited by Aussie_610 (see edit history)

another good indicator of year is the brakes. Internal or external brakes (614 external, 615 internal)  Also the instrument panels were very different  614 was an oval (different from the 610, more like a Paige one) and the 615 was a kind of rectangle insert with the "rose" pattern (same as a 612)