Water Pump Grease

Guest jd-stude

Guest jd-stude

Is there a readily available grease that is best to use to grease a water pump on a 1935 Ford?

"????  The bearing cavity is sealed from the coolant."

Not on older vehicles that require packing.See the warning on the above link in regards to the dangers of over lubrication.

Should I have said "the coolant is sealed from the bearing cavity"? Is packing not considered a seal? Do those water pumps not have weep holes to dump coolant and grease to prevent cross contamination?

As a side note, soap is a thickener for the OIL based lubricant. Most greases (80-90%) use various "soaps" as the thickener. Google it.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Well, I am sure it is not the BEST thing to use. And I am not familiar enough with a '35 Ford water-pump to speculate how well it would work with them. But on most of my earlier car's water-pumps, I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease. It is probably much better than anything that was available during the '10s and '20s. It is water resistant, and earlier pumps usually leak toward outside and therefore naturally reduce the coolant contamination. 

It has always worked well on my '10s and '20s cars.

And it IS readily available at most auto parts houses.

W2

If in doubt, get it from one of the Model A Ford supply houses. They have Grease that is specific for your vintage Ford water pump. Here is one on line supplied by Mac's. Bratton's, or Snyder's should also have it. Dandy Dave!   

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/model-a-ford-water-pump-grease-14-oz-cartridge-multipurpose-lubricant.html?cm_mmc=PLA-_-28-50762-2-_-NA-_-NA&gclid=CjwKEAiAx--2BRDO6q2T84_a52YSJABWAbfrT6aaHifq8gbMMMA56O2_rnQpi3Xr5zQXjpeHIYEA7BoCFIrw_wcB