1965 ford f-250 Windshield Replacment

Rob1965

It might not be the "best" and I admit that I use it because I almost always have a small tube on hand, I suggest clear silicone as the best sealant.  Lay a very thin bead all around the base of the inner channel, mount the rubber to the glass and let it set long enough that it sticks good before you install, but not so long that it's stiff.

I also like to put a thin bead under the lip of the outer channel before installing the locking strip, a bit of a pain and not supposed to be necessary, but less trouble to do on the install than it is to later.

When using silicone time and temperature determine when you can start working the windshield. Best tip I can give for using silicone is to put a little blob on the glass where it's easy to remove later and use that blob for testing the silicone.

I would drop in to a glass shop and ask this.

I don't think silicon is a very good choice. It doesn't hold up to the elements very well.

There are special sealants designed for this.

X2.  The acetic acid in silicone sealer will eventually cause rust where it contacts metal body parts. Urethane is the usual factory sealant. I would consult the factory shop manual.  For GMs, the factory manual spells out the windshield replacement process in excruciating detail.