Rebuilding a water pump

Greetings Ben

I have seen instructions for that in one of my shop manuals. It's short and one or two pix. I can prolley photo it and post it here for ya. I have not done it. If ya end up sending one out you can Google flying Dutchman and his wtr pmp rebuilding site should come up.

Greetings Ben

I have seen instructions for that in one of my shop manuals. It's short and one or two pix. I can prolley photo it and post it here for ya. I have not done it. If ya end up sending one out you can Google flying Dutchman and his wtr pmp rebuilding site should come up.

Thank you, 2carb, I do not remember seeing that in my '50 manual, but will look.

Ben

I never did one myself either.  I imagine it is very important to record the existing gap between the impeller and the casting before removing the same, since that would ultimately provide the required clearance of the impeller vanes to the mount casting. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of Buick water pumps.

New ones are not available.

Rebuilt ones by the professionals will often require return.

the impeller will scrape the the pump housing

the impeller will scrape the timing cover

the shaft is bent

the fan hub is bent

the fan hub is not in proper position making the fan pulley out on line

the pump has been rebuilt too many times and the bearing will not stay seated in the housing

I tried to rebuild years ago and could not get the impeller off without breaking it.

Rebuilt ones will often have a replacement aluminum impeller ( does that tell you something )

When I did finally rip one apart a friend in the bearing/seal business could not find replacements even with the numbers on the parts.

The seal is a carbon or ceramic faced seal that rides on the impeller. If it is worn to the point of leaking then the bearing is also at the end of it's service life. Sometimes a previously good water pump will leak after sitting dry and I have gotten them to seal by running them dry to reseat the seal...if the leak is at the housing, then radiator stop-leak might help.

In the past RockAuto had the best price and some of the best first time pumps.

Don't ever buy a used one unless you need a core; any old NOS or NORS rebuilt pump (the bearing lube is perishable and will soon fail)