ElginRTR

No Fan For Heat

On the 90 Reatta there is no fan for heat or otherwise.  Have checked fuses and switched out control modules.  Wondering if it could be the fan power module if so how to check it out and to locate said module.

Follow Barney's advise and if it doesn't run with 12v , give the motor a good thunk with a hammer handle.

The brushes may be worn out.

It is a fairly common motor....you should be able to find a working replacement in any GM car of the same vintage.

You may need to exchange the squirrel cage fan on the end as they are sometime slightly larger or smaller.  

Air flow could be a different problem........pull out the fan control module and look at the front of the evaporator thru the hole.   I suspect you will find it is covered

with material that is restricting the flow.........animal hair, pollen, etc seems to get in there and coat the front of the evaporator.

You can make a small adaptor for your shop vac and pull that coating off the evaporator and the airflow will improve dramatically....that could be overloading the fan motor which burns out the module.  

post-76006-0-74610800-1457360163_thumb.j

• Like 1

Sorry, I haven't been able to work on the 90 Reatta for a while , so I checked the fan today and it works fine, runs good.  I'm looking for a fuse position and no luck am I missing it?  If no fuse what next?  Thanks for the post about obstruction of the evaporator.

RTR

In watching one other post subject there is mention of the fan not activating until the car has warmed properly.  Could this be my problemand how is this checked out?

29 minutes ago, ElginRTR said:

In watching one other post subject there is mention of the fan not activating until the car has warmed properly.  Could this be my problemand how is this checked out?

You could put the fan in manual on high and that should override the automatic fan control. If it doesn't work in manual this might help you troubleshoot the problem: HVAC Programmer Test

So --  I think I've got it.  Checked the power from the HVAC Programmer, had proper volts. (Thanks Ronnie)  Finally, I found a used fan power module,

plugged it in and voila, the fan works.  Now I have to check and clean the evaporator while in the area. (Thanks Barney) 

• Like 1

There is a delay on the blower, think it needs 100F at the core.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)