Restorer32

'39 Olds 60 Series Conv

The winner of this years Ridler award is a '39 Olds 60 Series Conv. Owner claims it is the only such car built. Comments?

I'm just curious if the car was actually the only one built. His car, he was free to do what he wanted with it though it's not to my taste.

Of course it's the only one built.  All the other ones built have flat sixes. 

I'm very sceptical of a medium-priced production model havinga build of one.

direct quote from "the Standard catalog of American Cars"

Series 60 - The F series lineup was restricted to just 4 body styles; A pair of coupes,a two door and 4 door offered, with no open cars in the series.

But, I suppose it might have been a special built prototype/Worlds Fair? car in 1939, or possibly, a Pontiac/Chevy shell that was converted in some recent times?

The only things that would convince me, is either an obvious total original (patina'd) body style tag, or factory written documents. 

He also said "this 1939 Oldsmobile is the last remaining Model 60 Convertible in existence". I claim BS. NOBODY knows how many are actually remaining. VERY doubtful that Oldsmobile made only one of them. I would have to see proof of THAT claim.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Of course it's the only one built.  All the other ones built have flat sixes. 

I'm very sceptical of a medium-priced production model havinga build of one.

F&J was correct, there were no convertibles reported produced in the 60 series, the "F-39's", and all cars in that series had 6 cylinder engines.  The next series up, the 70, known as G-39's did have a convertible 6 cylinder offering but no 8 cyl.  Only in the 80 series, the L-39's, was there an 8 cylinder convertible.  Rare cars, in the day, I recall seeing only one, an 80 series. the total convertible production in the 70 and 80 series was under 700.  Restorer 32 didn't state which engine the subject car had. 

If it were a prototype or one off I doubt that it could have used a Chevy body as there were no '39 Chevy convertibles, which I believe was the only year in the '30's that none were in their line-up.

• Like 1

I also looked in the Crestline series "Oldsmobile" book.  It also says there were no 60 series open cars.

I still feel that there was a possibility of a prototype or a special one built for the World's Fair? .... a possibility, even if doubtful.   I guess what I'm saying is "never say never"

None of the extensive literature on Oldsmobiles of that era I have or anything we have at the AACA Library & Research Center indicate that a 60's series was produced as a convertible.  Helen Earley and Jim Walkinshaw did extensive reviews of manufacturing data when they wrote their book, Setting the Pace as they had access to the documents,  No convertibles are shown.  However, I learned a long, long time ago not to talk in absolutes.  At that time the folks at Olds ran their own show.  If a General Manager gave the ok to have a car built as a show car, for him or his wife or whatever reason it would happen. It is obvious though that  this would have been an oddity and not a car for sale to the general public.

I would have loved to crawl through this car before they started and wished they had used a coupe as a donor car instead of a convertible.  However, it is nicely done and happy it has an Olds engine in it and Olds gets some publicity based on the Ridler Award.

I guess I stand corrected about how many may have been made. Clearly, it is the only one that looks like that one....

post-81542-0-21527000-1456858342_thumb.j

I guess I stand corrected about how many may have been made. Clearly, it is the only one that looks like that one....

Well then, that makes it a 1-of-1, does it not?

Well then, that makes it a 1-of-1, does it not?

Yessir, it does. If you can picture in your mind, my foot in my mouth....

Well if it was one of one,  shame to see it rodded as you could have taken a Chevy and built the same car after modifying it that much.   Claims of being 1 of 1 ever built really have no believe ability without documentation.  

"I once owned 5 Auburn convertible sedans but have no proof,  you just have to take my word for it."   ;) They were really nice too.   Well maybe in my dreams.  We hear it at every car show we go to.  I had one just like that.  Well sort of except ...............................

It all boils down to proof. Photos papers etc.  No proof and you just take it at it's very low face value.

It would be interesting to know which engine is in the Ridler Olds.  I can't imagine it having a 1939 Olds flat head 6 or 8.  Then too, I can't see much similarity to GM's 1939 basic body lines, with perhaps the fenders being the exception.  With its more rounded rear clip it looks to me like the base was 1940 or newer.

It would be interesting to know which engine is in the Ridler Olds.  I can't imagine it having a 1939 Olds flat head 6 or 8.  Then too, I can't see much similarity to GM's 1939 basic body lines, with perhaps the fenders being the exception.  With its more rounded rear clip it looks to me like the base was 1940 or newer.

It says, "600 horsepower Mondello Performance Products Olds 455 V8" when I Google it.

I would be if the original data tag still exists on the car. That would shed some of the mystery.

It could be a 1940 that was sold in 1939. Remember some states titled cars with the year they were first sold.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

I would be if the original data tag still exists on the car. That would shed some of the mystery.

It could be a 1940 that was sold in 1939. Remember some states titled cars with the year they were first sold.

Bleach could be on to something, there WAS a 60 series 6 cylinder convertible in the 1940 line-up and there were 1,347 of them.  No advantage though to the dealer in calling what is new old.  It seems the more usual practice in year model re-dating was to do the opposite; example: Auburn did it with unsold '36 810 Cords "updated" to '37 812's by the mere changing of the serial plate..  Ford did it too, with '46 styled cars sold presumably in early '47 without the subtle trim updates.

At the end of the day It seems the obvious question about all this is: what's really left of the Ridler that's still '39 Olds.....?

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

At the end of the day It seems the obvious question about all this is: what's really left of the Ridler that's still '39 Olds.....?

Exactly - it's a pile of parts.  More the pity if the only 39 60 convt ended like this

Well, it's worth 6 figures now regardless of what I think it looks like or what it started out as.

Exactly - it's a pile of parts.  More the pity if the only 39 60 convt ended like this

I think I have figured out what is left.... the title.

Well, it's worth 6 figures now regardless of what I think it looks like or what it started out as.

Allegedly there was $1.4M ( :o ) spent to build the car.  Not unusual for Ridler winners.

I think I have figured out what is left.... the title.

That's about right, looks to be a very nice car, after spending 1.4 million, a lot of cars can look good.