Lost key

Guest snozkc

Guest snozkc

I've lost the key to my dad's (now my) 31 Model A.  I know I will eventually find it but am looking for something that can be done in the meantime.  It has an original pop-out ignition.  Can a typical lock smith cut a key for these ignitions?

Thanks,

-Ethan

If you can find the key number- might need to pull the switch out - there was a guy on eBay that can cut a key from the code. I had one done for a rumbleseat handle and it was spot on. The ignition has it usually on the side of the ferrule where the key goes in or on the face below it. I wish I could describe it better. All bets are off if it is either a replacement or troop.

Guest snozkc

Thanks for the information.  I pulled the bezel and looked all over the lock and couldn't find a number.  I found a locksmith that can make a key for a reasonable price.  I'm going to keep looking for the key I had for a bit. 

Hey fordboy.  I live a little south of Kansas City.

Guest snozkc

Hey Wayne,

I think it had been about 3 years since I last started it.  It ran pretty well other than one really loud backfire.  I think I had the low speed mixture set to rich.  I leaned it out and let it warm up.  Things seemed good although still rich. 

• 1 month later...
Guest snozkc
On 4/29/2016 at 1:05 PM, AlCapone said:

Did you start it yet? Wayne

I sure did Al.  There's nothing like fresh gas, a charged battery, and the key to rectify the situation. :)