Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Our "new" Oldsmobile 88 (but it needs some work)

You express yourself very well for a 15 year old. Your family should be very proud of you. You, young man are the future of our hobby. Keep doing what you are presently doing. Best of luck, Wayne

Thank you very much Wayne!

Thanks Dandy Dave, rp1967, Joe Padavano and Wayne for your excellent help!

Yesterday I put some fule pump/engine/cat cleaner in the fule tank and let it run for a while. It didn't seem to do much but maybe this weekend I'll try to pull of the catillitic converter and run it without it. I'll also try to text the fule pump.

Thanks again!

Tristan

Edited by Tristan (see edit history)

Do some basic troubleshooting first. Check and record codes. Do basic tune up with new plugs and wires. Buy a cheap fuel pressure guage and check fuel pressure. If engine has a misfire/ running rough, get a spark tester to determine if you have a coil pak failure which will affect 1 or 2 cylinders. Each coil fires 2 cylinders. Do not start swapping out parts or converter until you have done basics and determined what the problem is.

• Like 1

Yesterday I put some fule pump/engine/cat cleaner in the fule tank and let it run for a while. It didn't seem to do much

Don't expect it to.  The "cleaners" that you dump in the tank are very dilute solvents.  Their purpose is long-term maintenance, not rapid cleaning.  More to the point, if the cat is really "glowing red", the problem is a melted ceramic matrix, and nothing will fix that.  If that's the real problem, the only solution is a new cat.

• Like 1

All good advice from everyone. One other thing. Did the car run good when it was parked several years ago? Or did it just start being a problem since it has been revived recently? Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

We at the Reatta forum deal with this a lot. You have gotten good advice so far. Here is what we try to get newbies to do all the time. 

1] Check fuel pressure [should be 37 lbs or more]

2] Spark plugs/ Spark plug wires

3] Change the exhaust sensor

4] check/replace the ECM/coil pack [these can fail and will cause misfiring and the catalytic coverter to turn bright red. I just went through this which is why I always have a known good one on the shelf].

Good luck!

• Like 2