Newbies 42 Desoto needs help..

des42

Hello from Finland! My 42 Desoto needs some parts.if someone can help...I need upper bar for grille,tail lights and center (brake) light.Also like to have contack for other s-10 owners...sorry my poor english.I am coming to USA for couple of weeks now,so if someone can recommend me places where moparguy should visit in California or Arizona,i´d be grateful...Thank you! J-P  

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum.  What body style is your DeSoto?  I think the tail lights and center brake light are different between the sedan and the coupe and convertible.  My best source for '42 DeSoto parts has been Ebay.  The tail lights are stamped steel that was chrome plated.  They would trap water and rust out.  They are very hard to find and are a one year only item.  I have a '42 Custom convertible, unrestored but drivable.  If you serch this forum for 1942 DeSoto you will find serveral threads.  The blue convertible pictured in some of them is mine.  I'm on the east coast, so can't tell you much about what is in California or Arizona.

Good luck on your parts search.

• Like 1

Thanks for answer...It is 3-passenger coupe.but not the same that was in Sweden.Someone has started restoring it many years ago and body and frame are in decent condition but many parts missing...I think some parts will fit from 46-48 S-11,but those I asked are problem. I think that the center light differs from bodystyle but thinking that tail lights are the same...I may be wrong? I have taillights from Dodge and If I dont find originals,I must use them...But stil searching.J-P

Is your car a 3 window business coupe?  The designation S-10S was the DeLuxe line. They built 469 DeLuxe Business Coupes. It was the lowest price car in the line. The Custom series, S-10C was the fancy version. Sold 120 of these. You need to find a parts book for your 1942 to compare what is interchangeable with the 1946,7,& 8 cars. Don't believe you will find much from older cars. Plug in the years 1942 and 1946 DeSoto in your internet browser and look at the pictures of the cars to see if the 46 taillights are different that the 1942.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

According to my parts manual body style does not seem to matter for these parts.  The brakelight housing appears to have been painted rather than chrome as the Parts book specifically mentions 46-48 was chrome but no mention for 42.  I looked a a 42 Desoto slowly sinking in a field a couple of years ago.  It was for sale but I think they wanted a lot for a no title car.  I'll attach a couple of pictures I took.  A lot of misc parts were in the back seat as I recall.

1942 Desoto Front End.jpg

1942 Desoto Grille.jpg

1942 Desoto back end.jpg

DSCF5384.JPG

DSCF5402.JPG

DSCF5404.JPG

DSCF5408.JPG

DSCF5385.JPG

DSCF5393.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for answers...Yes,car is Deluxe business coupe.Good part book pictures! What kind of parts book that is? I have one Part book for 42 but it doesnt have much good pictures...sad to see that sedan in field,hope someone have rescued it...I found that grille bar from DVAP but all other parts stil needed...J-P

• 2 weeks later...

The Parts Book is the "Mopar Body & Sheet Metal Quick Reference List"  1940 through 1948.  It primarily focuses on exterior Crash parts but it does have great details of the Front, Side, Rear, Hood, Grille and Bumpers of every year from 1940 to 1948 (minus war years), of Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler.

There is a copy posted on-line at http://www.pwchryslerclub.org/MoparSheetMetal-1940-1948.pdf

Edited by Ron42Dodge (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ray Reis in Seattle had both a 5th Ave three pass S10 cpe...blue.. went to Sweden and a red 42 5th Ave S10 convert. He sold it after many years..went down south..Texas?

Ray was extremely knowledgeable about all 42 sota's.

He possibly still might have something as for parts...

• 1 month later...

J-P,   Do you need just the brake light body, or do you also need the whole assembly with the lens and the "Fluid Drive" chrome strip at the bottom?  I have two spare brake lights, one a complete assembly with lens and chrome strip and one just the body.  Also a couple NOS brake light lenses but just the one chrome strip.  Another guy restoring a '42 also needs the brake light, not sure if he wants the complete assembly.  I've moved and still sorting through parts so it will take some time.  Very soon I will be selling my nice looking and running black '42 DeLuxe coupe that comes with a '42 blackout sedan parts car.  There is a switch panel for the bottom of the dash in that car but it is a blackout version with plastic knobs instead of the chrome knobs.  Also they did not use the decorative purple colored trim panel that goes under the knobs on the blackouts, just a plain chrome panel if you could use that.  I have a lot of other spares including NOS clock with purple background used in '42 only, two sets of '42 fender skirts complete with moldings, steering wheels, some mechanical NOS stuff, etc.  I'm saving a couple steering wheels and window and door cranks for a club member whose contact info I've lost when my computer crashed last year but all the other stuff will be available.   Are you looking for any other parts?  Let me know and we'll keep in touch.

Edited by jimm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...