56 century convertible project "Rachael"

Guest 54fins

I had a 56 4 door hardtop. Being a convertible guy its pretty hard to make a case for restoring it and it doesn't have a title. But along comes a 56 convertible, good body and drivetrain but missing most of the rest. Now we can make this work. Betty, my Skylark has a cloth interior I had made when I was rat rodding the skylark in black primer. The interior didn't quite keep up with how the car came out. Well, it's perfect for the 56 and I'm working on a leather custom interior for the nationals in 2017. Would love to hit PA this year but its just a bit too much.

The 56 has some nice things compared to a 54. It still has the torque tube from hell but real shocks in the back. The power steering is also improved. the brake master is not under the car so dual exhaust is no problem. I've also got a beefed up sway bar for the front, otherwise do believe I'll keep the stock drivetrain and the 322 appears to be good. Looks like I can build this on a reasonable budget.

post-116625-0-85587100-1456589430_thumb.

post-116625-0-16011900-1456591016_thumb.

just for grins, I may try to but a 54 front clip on the 56 donor car and make a 54 4 door hardtop. Or I may let it sit in a field as a good home for rodents.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes I can see it now. A '56 4 door no top with dual cowls and wind screens :)  and a liquid decanter/cup holder in the back seat :rolleyes: . Now that would be something to see for sure. A huge amount of work but the end result would be well received in the Buick family I'm thinking. 

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not sacrifice a 4-door sedan instead?  I'm sure I am just missing some key detail.

To make a topless 4 door?

Simplicity:  A 4 door Riv already has frameless doors, and B-pillar requires no modification.  Structurally, it's already there.  It's a very simple mod, just pop out the back window and make two little cuts at the C-pillar.  A long cut just far enough behind the windshield that you've got a place to attach sun visors and a map light.  A little trim-out and you are done.

Now, some might go all the way and take the windows out of the doors and trim that out as well, but some people like to put the windows up to reduce buffeting while highway driving, so you might want to leave them...

• Like 1