stalite tail light lens

This is a little complicated to explain. The light fixture is 4 1/4 inches in diameter. But there appear to have been 3 seperate lenses. The licence plate light on the bottom opening 4 inches by 1 1/4 inches with the lens slightly bigger than this, say 1/2 inch?<BR> The lower front tailight lens was round and projected out sort of like a small bicycle lens. Diameter of hole 1 3/4 inches. The brake light part is a cresent at the top of the light Upper side of opening 5 3/4 inches approx. Lower side 2 !/4 iches and the 2 sides about 1 1/8 inches each . Hope this make sense??

Guest stude8

To help with the Stude tail light research, the light illustrated on Shawn's 1929 is actually a 1930 lamp by virtue that it has the word "Stop" molded into the upper lens and second the word Stalite is EMBOSSED upward in the metal body. It also is a President model because it is a brass metal body Chrome plated.<BR>The original 1929 lamp would look the same dimensionally but the word Stalite would be engraved INTO the metal and the upper lens would be red glass without nomenclature but it would have a steel backing plate with the word "Stop" punched out so when the stop lamp lighted it would display the word stop on the lens. <BR>A correct orginal 1928 version again looked the same as 1929 but the backing plate had the words "Studebaker Stop" punched out.<BR>The Dictator (Economy) models had steel metal bodies painted Black.<BR>The genesis of the lenses is the early lights made a very poor display when you stepped on the brakes so they took out the word "Studebaker" and made "Stop" larger in 29. Finally in 30 they took out the backing plate altogether for the brightest "Stop" display. Too many rearend crashes I guess.<BR>Thanks to Shawn for the great image, and Stude Boy when I find my tail light box in the shed I believe I can come up with a lens set for you. Stude8

Great! The light body I have was already fresh rechromed when I got it. My car is a 28 royal dictator sedan so it had more chrome i believe than the basic dictator. My email is thompsbs@tds.net . Please contact me about the lens stude8. Thanks. studeboy

• 10 years later...
Guest Indianfour

Are you still active in the "Studebaker" forums? Wanted to talk about tail-lights for late twenties cars, Stude and Erskine. Thanks, IndianFour