Sign in to follow this  
oakland

63 Rivera Air

I am having trouble with the air condition on my 63 Riviera.  I can not get air to blow thru the air vents on the dash.  I tried changing some of the vacuum valves under the hood that controls this, but with no luck.  I even purchased a complete control modular on Ebay and replace it still no luck.  Any Ideas?  Is there a replacement unit for these cars to do away with these vacuum valves?

Make sure ALL the air doors are moving freely. After years rust rears it's ugly head & can give you fits. Gotta do some diagnostics before just replacing parts for no reason. Make sure vacuum hoses are connected to the correct spots & none are split or leaking vacuum. MANY things to check BEFORE parts replacements.

• Like 1

The dual diaphragms are notorious for going bad. It takes vacuum to both ports on the diaphragm to make the vents open properly.

There is a lot to check to ensure proper door operation.  In addition to vacuum, the door springs can break.  You might want to start by removing your blower motor and then remove the plastic/fiber air handling duct that it mounts to (you'll need to remove it from the firewall).  Check door, spring, and then vacuum lines for cracks and proper placement.  While its out you'll probably want to clean it thoroughly before re-installing.  

Do you have good vacuum in the system?  perhaps there is a leak which is weakening the vacuum in the system and not strong enough to move the actuators

In your chassis manual, there's a complete chart of "complaints and causes  -  corrections" in the a/c section.  Ill bet your "complaint" is addressed.  Now, if you don't have a chassis manual, it's time to get one.  Chassis manual - one of two references every Riviera owner needs. The other is membership in the ROA(which you are.) This is for the other guys reading this who don't own a chassis manual and/or are not ROA members. :) .

Ed

• Like 1

I do have a chassis manual.  I have checked and replaced all hoses that need to be replaced. Just for my info, if the dual diaphragm is bad, does anyone know where I can find one?

Old Air products has them. They're referred to as actuators. You'll need to look at your old one and compare it to what they have.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/factory-replacement-parts/vacuum-parts-c-2_10000_10028.html?page=1&sort=products_sort_order

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

A simple way to check the actuator is to pull the plunger back toward the engine and restrain with a tie wrap. If air then flows through the dash nozzles, the actuator is bad.