1925 Standard 6 speedometer cable L end

• 9 years later...

Hi Steve

Simple question, Steve. If it is a 1:1 ratio, why is it required? My 27 Dictator does not have one, the cable screws directly into the transmission. There is a 26 Standard 6 here which had the rear axle ratio changed to the high speed ratio. It now needs one of those adapters because the speedometer reads low. Prior to the change it didn't have one.

Terry

Guest Studebaker1925

Terry,

What follows is conjecture...

My car is as much as possible, unrestored and there was one attached to the transmission but with the gears missing: basically, since the speedo (odometer to you) was pot metal and seized, something had to give and the plug in the gear housing popped out along with the gear. I am pretty sure it is a 1:1 ratio as that makes the speedo read correctly.

I believe it is there to relieve the strain on the speedo cable by reducing the twisting it wou;ld have to endure and alow it to flop up and down (rotating about the axis entering the transmission. It certainly fits directly in the transmission. I imagine that other cars don't have it because they all suffered the same fate?

Steve

• 1 month later...

No such part listed in the 1925 Illustrated Parts Manual. All it shows is the drive gear and retainer housing. I think I have those parts and probably a cable housing but no 90 deg drive gearbox.

Scott

Guest Studebaker1925

Scott,

I was given one of these right angle gears by a friend but it was for a different car (Big Six, I think) and a different ratio, so I believe they were fitten on other 1925 cars. It would be a part made by Stewart.

Steve

Guest Studebaker1925
No such part listed in the 1925 Illustrated Parts Manual. All it shows is the drive gear and retainer housing. I think I have those parts and probably a cable housing but no 90 deg drive gearbox.

Scott

....can you send a scan of what you are calling 'drive gear and retainer hoursing' please.

Steve

Guest Studebaker1925
Hi Steve

Simple question, Steve. If it is a 1:1 ratio, why is it required? My 27 Dictator does not have one, the cable screws directly into the transmission. There is a 26 Standard 6 here which had the rear axle ratio changed to the high speed ratio. It now needs one of those adapters because the speedometer reads low. Prior to the change it didn't have one.

Terry

What ratio do you need. I haver one that is the wrong ratio for my car...

Steve