Few Young Members: Parallels in Model-Railroad Hobby

John_S_in_Penna

I think there is two seperate topics to be looked at. #1 concerns about the younger generation at club/region meets and #2 concerns about the younger generation carrying on the collector car hobby. I unfortunately fall into #2. I only took my Rickenbacker to one show....Hershey, last year, that is it. With two children, life is busy. However, I do know a few others my age range, that have antique cars, and have never taken them to a car show for much of the same reasons as I. The younger generation is out there and will prevail in the hobby in my opinion, you just might have to wait until they age to see them at meets.

I am also very lucky my grandfather was a train collector. When he passed away, he willed me his best, most favorite, and collectable train, the Lionel State Cars. I'm not sure of the model year they were made, but I have them mounted on my basement wall for safe keeping. Can anyone provide information on them?

post-114738-0-89705900-1455762410_thumb.

I am also very lucky my grandfather was a train collector. When he passed away, he willed me his best, most favorite, and collectable train, the Lionel State Cars. I'm not sure of the model year they were made, but I have them mounted on my basement wall for safe keeping. Can anyone provide information on them?

Looks to me like they are mid late 30's to early 40's Tinplate

I'm 28 years old so I'm one of the younger guys here.  I think, for the most part, guys my age have very little interest in the 40's and earlier cars.  Some are into the 50's cars, a few more pick the 60's/70's cars as their favorites.  Almost none are interested in stock/original old cars- most want a fuel injected V8 swapped in along with upgraded suspension/brakes.   By far the largest group is into 80's/90's Japanese cars or newer Camaros and Mustangs as these already have modern technology and drivability.

As far as the amount of younger car guys, just last month there was a "car meet" organized on Facebook in my area.  Around 600 people signed up to go within just a couple of weeks, and there were probably 4-500 cars present.  Most were in their teens or 20's. The oldest car was a modified '57 Chevy, next to that there were a handful of 60's/70's Camaros and Mustangs.  Maybe 10 cars older than 1980 in total.  80% of the other cars were newer import cars- Hondas mostly. 

From my perspective, the older 70's Japanese cars are really starting to take off with the younger guys as it's an affordable way to get into a "classic" car.  I'm still kicking myself for selling my '77 Celica GT liftback as the market on those are skyrocketing and they're difficult to find in good condition.  I just don't see guys my age or younger becoming interested in stock/original 40's and earlier cars, there doesn't seem to be any interest shown in them.  The 50's and 60's cars are desirable but out of our price range for the most part.  Trucks are extremely popular since they're much more affordable. I have quite a few friends my age with 50's/60's project trucks.

Almost none are interested in stock/original old cars- most want a fuel injected V8 swapped in along with upgraded suspension/brakes.   By far the largest group is into 80's/90's Japanese cars or newer Camaros and Mustangs as these already have modern technology and drivability....

The 50's and 60's cars are desirable but out of our price range for the most part.  Trucks are extremely popular since they're much more affordable. I have quite a few friends my age with 50's/60's project trucks.

I think the type of car that's popular depends partly on

the area of the country you live in.  One long-time AACA

member in Florida said he hasn't seen in years, at shows,

a pre-war car that hasn't been hot-rodded.  Here in Pennsylvania

those authentic pre-war cars are not at all unusual.

I know what you mean, Astronaut, about car prices eliminating

many people from the hobby.  The most desirable cars

(convertibles and other specialty models) get cherished and

become expensive.  Such pricing keeps many people out of

a portion of the hobby.  It's the same way in the 1930's era.

So younger people without as much money to spend have to

look either to more mundane cars like sedans--which they might

not want--or else choose a different era if they are to get into the hobby.

And I think that some sellers' high asking prices, and televised auctions

that show only the high-dollar cars, keep newcomers

from looking further into a hobby that really can be affordable.

But if your friends are RESTORING a vehicle themselves,

they could probably be restoring a 1955 2-door for the price of a truck. 

In that case, your friends simply must like trucks better.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

But if your friends are RESTORING a vehicle themselves,

they could probably be restoring a 1955 2-door for the price of a truck. 

In that case, your friends simply must like trucks better.

You should price parts.  Tri-five car parts are very expensive.  Chevy pickups were virtually identical from 1973-1987.  Parts for those vehicles pretty much do grow on trees.

Most of us are looking for decent original paint or "patina" cars/trucks since it costs a ton to fully restore anything.  My '64 VW and both of my '66 C10s are all either original paint or older resprays.  Each one will be left unrestored for now.  Just the cost of materials to strip and paint a car is around $4,000 and it's easy to spend $20,000+ on parts and drivetrain.   

I picked up my blue '66 C10 for $2,000 bucks.  I had to rebuild the carb, fuel system, brakes, and redo the wood bed floor to make it driveable. For less than $3,000 I have a running/driving classic truck. My '64 VW is matching numbers and original paint.  Bought it for $2500 in 2002 and it didn't need anything.  

In my area there are no 2 door '55-57 Chevy's, Chevelles, Nova's, Camaro's, Mustangs, or any other "desireable" car out there that can be bought and made roadworthy for under 10-15K unless you inherit it or find a "steal".  Then add at least $20,000 for a full DIY restoration with no short cuts...  The first restoration I ever did was a '65 C10.  Parts cost $15,000, not counting the cost of the remanufactured engine, the brakes, or any of the mechanical parts that the customer spent on their own.  I know a guy that restored a '65 GT0 convertible.  He did all the work himself and spent $35,000 just in parts.  It's just not possible for most younger guys to buy and restore a classic car.  

To show how the hobby changes, when I first got the VW and took it to shows/cruise-ins I'd see plenty of people that didn't like the VW being there.  It wasn't a "real" car.  Now there are classes just for them at some shows and I've even had calls inviting me to bring it out so they can fill up the VW class.  

6CE80DFA-52CA-4240-AE64-5F62ED8FF8C6-408

691161B6-3F36-4142-BA3F-C7FF44FF9196.jpg

24EFD7AB-8EC3-4496-A737-416685AD15BD.jpg

In my area there are no 2 door '55-57 Chevy's, Chevelles, Nova's, Camaro's, Mustangs, or any other "desireable" car out there that can be bought and made roadworthy for under 10-15K unless you inherit it or find a "steal".  

A 1955 car (used only as an example) needn't be a Chevrolet.

You're right:  they can be too popular to be affordable.

But there are many other 1950's cars that are interesting,

and having something less common makes it more noticeable at shows!

A 1955 car (used only as an example) needn't be a Chevrolet.

You're right:  they can be too popular to be affordable.

But there are many other 1950's cars that are interesting,

and having something less common makes it more noticeable at shows!

If it's not a 1955 Chevy, then you definitely won't readily find parts for it...

I'm a big fan of non-mainstream cars, but the reality is that it's much more difficult (and usually expensive) to restore one.  I have two 1962 Olds F-85 wagons.  Resto parts are practically non-existent.  I've had to buy complete parts cars just to get obscure trim or body parts.  It's MUCH easier and cheaper to restore a mainstream car, and frankly, it's MUCH MUCH cheaper to restore a very common Ford or Chevy truck.

If it's not a 1955 Chevy, then you definitely won't readily find parts for it...

I'm a big fan of non-mainstream cars, but the reality is that it's much more difficult (and usually expensive) to restore one.  I have two 1962 Olds F-85 wagons.  Resto parts are practically non-existent.  I've had to buy complete parts cars just to get obscure trim or body parts.  It's MUCH easier and cheaper to restore a mainstream car, and frankly, it's MUCH MUCH cheaper to restore a very common Ford or Chevy truck.

Unfortunately very true.  This has lead to the regrettable situation where enthusiasts often seem to value only the most mainstream old car and ignore anything even slightly off the beaten path.  Many Buick/Olds/Pontiac (BOP) models are a sad situation since they were often popular when new and are interesting now compared to contemporary Chevys, yet only in some instances get attention from casual old car fans.  On the other hand they can represent an excellent buy if you find an example that does not need a restoration but can be enjoyed largely as is.  Todd C        

Stamp collecting is a hobby that has declined quite a bit

since its heyday.  Common stamps continue to go down

in price.  In fact, just about every U. S. stamp issued in

the last 75 years, in mint condition, is worth no more than

face value!  (Dealers buy them at 50% of face and often sell 

them in quantity at face value or less.)  It's a good time

to start a stamp collection.

Maybe as years progress, many antique cars won't go up in value.

They may go down--and attract more enthusiasts into the hobby.

No one knows, of course;  but in that case they would not be

an investment, but would get back to being fun.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

The Internet with all its games and facinations has taken over. Every kid has a computer and it goes where he or she goes. The Internet has adversely affected most hobbies and will continue to do so. I got attacked recently for suggesting the Internet has adversely affected buyers and sellers at Hershey. I only had one or two attackers but I had many buyers and sellers that sent private messages supporting my position. Whether you like it or not the Internet will continue to attract many people from our hobby and many other hobbies including trains. If you don't believe it you had better get out of the way because the Internet train will run you over! Wayne

I think there is two seperate topics to be looked at. #1 concerns about the younger generation at club/region meets and #2 concerns about the younger generation carrying on the collector car hobby. I unfortunately fall into #2. I only took my Rickenbacker to one show....Hershey, last year, that is it. With two children, life is busy. However, I do know a few others my age range, that have antique cars, and have never taken them to a car show for much of the same reasons as I. The younger generation is out there and will prevail in the hobby in my opinion, you just might have to wait until they age to see them at meets.

I don't know where you live, but here in North Central Florida, there are small to medium car shows and cruise-ins within easy driving distance, almost every weekend.  I personally don't care for the larger car shows like Hershey, but prefer the smaller, more local shows.  I have more fun at a cruise-in than I do at a car show, but that's just me.

Cheers,

Grog

P.S. Why don't you include your location or state/region?

I'm 28 years old so I'm one of the younger guys here.  I think, for the most part, guys my age have very little interest in the 40's and earlier cars.  Some are into the 50's cars, a few more pick the 60's/70's cars as their favorites.  Almost none are interested in stock/original old cars- most want a fuel injected V8 swapped in along with upgraded suspension/brakes.   By far the largest group is into 80's/90's Japanese cars or newer Camaros and Mustangs as these already have modern technology and drivability.

Makes sense as when I was in my 20s, didn't care really about original cars at all, and was modifying 70s car with big tires/air shocks, etc.. :)  Maybe in 15 years or so we'll see a lot more of these cars "80's/90's Japanese cars or newer Camaros and Mustangs" at AACA meets that are original.  I suspect there will be a lot more Japanese (original) cars for a while since the 80/90s US cars may not be as collectible, as it took a while IMHO for US manufactures to "catch up" in those years with some of the cool foreign cars ;) (of course there are exceptions). 

Now that there are a ton of current US "muscle" cars, including Chrysler now, I would think in 30 years or so there may be more Fords/Chevys/Chryslers at AACA shows and more of a balance, but the next 15-20 I don't think as much.  I have almost 20 yrs left before retiring, so what do I know ;)  I do enjoy seeing original cars now, and all makes, so I think we'll be OK.  I recall seeing an old original Corolla at one of the meets that I thought was neat as we had one.  My guess is those that are 80-90 yrs old, and maybe modified original cars in the 50s (in their 20s) have seen this pattern before :)  I also predict some of the costs will go way down with the availability of 3D printing.  Chuck

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)

I apologize I wrote that wrong. I'm here to carry on the hobby, but you currently won't see me at many events because of having young children and working 50 hours a week to afford life, children, and my antique cars. I live in York, PA, with plenty of local car shows. However most weekends are spent doing fun things, geared more towards children, type of activities. I do hit a couple shows but not many.

Most of us are looking for decent original paint or "patina" cars/trucks since it costs a ton to fully restore anything.  My '64 VW and both of my '66 C10s are all either original paint or older resprays.  Each one will be left unrestored for now.  Just the cost of materials to strip and paint a car is around $4,000 and it's easy to spend $20,000+ on parts and drivetrain.   

I picked up my blue '66 C10 for $2,000 bucks.  I had to rebuild the carb, fuel system, brakes, and redo the wood bed floor to make it driveable. For less than $3,000 I have a running/driving classic truck. My '64 VW is matching numbers and original paint.  Bought it for $2500 in 2002 and it didn't need anything.  

In my area there are no 2 door '55-57 Chevy's, Chevelles, Nova's, Camaro's, Mustangs, or any other "desireable" car out there that can be bought and made roadworthy for under 10-15K unless you inherit it or find a "steal".  Then add at least $20,000 for a full DIY restoration with no short cuts...  The first restoration I ever did was a '65 C10.  Parts cost $15,000, not counting the cost of the remanufactured engine, the brakes, or any of the mechanical parts that the customer spent on their own.  I know a guy that restored a '65 GT0 convertible.  He did all the work himself and spent $35,000 just in parts.  It's just not possible for most younger guys to buy and restore a classic car.  

To show how the hobby changes, when I first got the VW and took it to shows/cruise-ins I'd see plenty of people that didn't like the VW being there.  It wasn't a "real" car.  Now there are classes just for them at some shows and I've even had calls inviting me to bring it out so they can fill up the VW class.  

6CE80DFA-52CA-4240-AE64-5F62ED8FF8C6-408

691161B6-3F36-4142-BA3F-C7FF44FF9196.jpg

24EFD7AB-8EC3-4496-A737-416685AD15BD.jpg

When are you going to return your VW's suspension back to stock?

When are you going to return your VW's suspension back to stock?

I figured that's what you were getting at in your earlier post. It's going to be awhile before it goes back stock. It's sitting that low in the pic because there are four people in it; it usually has 2.75" clearance up front at the lowest point. Plenty of ground clearance to keep from scraping. It handles and (imo) looks better lowered, and it's safer with the rear swing axles running negative camber- the inside wheel doesn't try to tuck under in a curve. I have driven the car as much as 17,000 miles per year so I'll take a few safety and performance upgrades to help keep me and the car out of trouble.

The 130 horsepower engine will be swapped out for the matching numbers 40 horse engine one day too. I'd rather wear out a more "disposable" late model engine than the original engine. The magnesium engine blocks don't last forever. I've kept 75,000 miles of wear off the original engine, and it's more fun to outrun the "tuner" cars and keep up with muscle cars from light to light.

I've been collecting the very hard to find NOS one year only seat covers to eventually put the car back 100% stock and "correct". None of the modifications I've made so far are permanent. No holes have been drilled or wiring changed. Eventually I'll take it off the road and do a body-off preservation and return the car to 100% stock. I do agree that the car is too nice to modify or "hot rod" permanently- there aren't many left that are rust free and have presentable original paint. But I'm taking good care of it and having fun with it until the the time comes to put it back stock.

Btw, Ferdinand Porsche sure seemed to like low cars...

026CB8EA-4033-48E8-8F3F-4AEEF8E405FE.jpg

0C1946E4-7528-4EFF-A31B-F052C3325DF0.jpg

Edited by theastronaut (see edit history)

My guess is those that are 80-90 yrs old, and maybe modified original cars in the 50s (in their 20s) have seen this pattern before :) 

I think this really helps put things into perspective. The cars that the older guys have now- most of those were the new and modern cars of their time. My dad is 63 so he grew up and started driving during the golden era of muscle cars. He probably didn't dream about getting a ten year old '57 Chevy as his first car... that would have been "just an old family car" at the time. Guys back then wanted a new tri-power GTO, a Boss Mustang, Camaro SS, etc. A '40 ford was only about 25 years old when dad started driving. My grand dad actually got mad when my dad gave $500 for a worn out '40 Deluxe sedan around 1970 because "they were only a few hundred more than that when they were new!"

Back when I used to show up to a cruise-in with my '87 Chrysler Conquest TSi I'd get disapproving looks from many of the older guys. "What's that doing here" they'd say. One time the guys running a charity show even asked each other "can we let that in?" when I pulled up to the gate. That was my dream car as a kid, made the same year I was born so it's as old as I am... Just like the '50's and 60's cars that those guys own are just as old as they are. The guys my age would flock to it because that was on of the neater cars of the late '80s, they know what they are and they make sure to walk over and check it out because they haven't seen one in years, or ever.

I think the issue here isn't that younger guys aren't into cars, because they definitely are and there definitely are a lot of us. The older guys are just worried that us younger guys don't appreciate the same era or type of cars that they do.

I figured that's what you were getting at in your earlier post. It's going to be awhile before it goes back stock. It's sitting that low in the pic because there are four people in it; it usually has 2.75" clearance up front at the lowest point. Plenty of ground clearance to keep from scraping. It handles and (imo) looks better lowered, and it's safer with the rear swing axles running negative camber- the inside wheel doesn't try to tuck under in a curve. I have driven the car as much as 17,000 miles per year so I'll take a few safety and performance upgrades to help keep me and the car out of trouble.

The 130 horsepower engine will be swapped out for the matching numbers 40 horse engine one day too. I'd rather wear out a more "disposable" late model engine than the original engine. The magnesium engine blocks don't last forever. I've kept 75,000 miles of wear off the original engine, and it's more fun to outrun the "tuner" cars and keep up with muscle cars from light to light.

I've been collecting the very hard to find NOS one year only seat covers to eventually put the car back 100% stock and "correct". None of the modifications I've made so far are permanent. No holes have been drilled or wiring changed. Eventually I'll take it off the road and do a body-off preservation and return the car to 100% stock. I do agree that the car is too nice to modify or "hot rod" permanently- there aren't many left that are rust free and have presentable original paint. But I'm taking good care of it and having fun with it until the the time comes to put it back stock.

Btw, Ferdinand Porsche sure seemed to like low cars...

026CB8EA-4033-48E8-8F3F-4AEEF8E405FE.jpg

0C1946E4-7528-4EFF-A31B-F052C3325DF0.jpg

In my misspent youth I started out working for VW as a line mechanic and then later to unit repair ( engines and transaxles ) A lot of damage is created not only to the wheel bearings because they are starved for gear oil , but the fulcrum plates are not designed to run at that angle all the time and wear prematurely along with the differential side gears they fit into. If  you notice the Porsche cars you posted the camber is about 0 degrees. Porsche race cars with IRS swing axle usually are de-cambered one or two degrees, however "G" loading the suspension on turns is enough to bathe the wheel bearings in gear oil and the rigors of road racing keep the fulcrum plates moving from positive to negative camber and does not effect them. 

Makes quite a difference with four people in it!

My 64 113 deluxe- owned 43 years:

http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/images/stories/dons64_2.jpg

My 65 111 1200"A" 36hp ( last year 36hp made )-owned 48 years:

http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0138_edited_1.jpg

This is original chrome;

http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0135_edited_1.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Just as an example of what I see in Southeastern North Carolina...

I am preparing to send in our local Chapter Roster to AACA. At last night's meeting, we added a new couple who are under 40 years of age. We also added a new high school student member. The high school member owns a Corvette. The young couple own a Model A Ford.

Of the 147 chapter members on the Roster, we have 5 Student Members. Three of the Student Members own their own cars. Those cars include the Corvette, A 1965 Mercury, and a 1926 Model T Ford.

Obviously some young people don't follow the stereotype of only being interested in cars from the decade in which they were born. 

Stamp collecting is a hobby that has declined quite a bit

since its heyday. 

What are these "stamps" of which you speak?

Heck, I haven't mailed a letter or written a check in years - except for the annual check to the IRS!

Guest AlCapone

Just as an example of what I see in Southeastern North Carolina...

I am preparing to send in our local Chapter Roster to AACA. At last night's meeting, we added a new couple who are under 40 years of age. We also added a new high school student member. The high school member owns a Corvette. The young couple own a Model A Ford.

Of the 147 chapter members on the Roster, we have 5 Student Members. Three of the Student Members own their own cars. Those cars include the Corvette, A 1965 Mercury, and a 1926 Model T Ford.

Obviously some young people don't follow the stereotype of only being interested in cars from the decade in which they were born.

In reference to the aforementioned report, 5 student members out of 147 members is only about 3.4% ! I personally find this very small percentage to be rather discouraging. Wayne

Postage stamps.

I'll bet you've mailed a package or a thank-you note to someone,

though I hope not to the I. R. S.!

Packages don't use stamps anymore.  You take it into the post office and they print out a sticker with the postage.  Much easier than sticking on a dozen stamps.

Since the original premise was essentially that young people are not interested in Antique Cars, especially cars older than they are, I find it encouraging that in my town of approximately 100,000 population, we have 1 Middle School Student, 2 High School Students and 2 College Students who were interested enough to join our local Chapter. Three of them own their own antique cars. Their cars are a 1926 Model T Ford, a 1965 Mercury Comet Caliente, and a 1969 Chevrolet Corvette. The two student members who do not own their own Antique Cars are members of families who have Antique Cars.

These are 5 are all active members of our local AACA Chapter, they did not receive a membership from someone else.  I am amazed that three of them own their own antique cars at their young age. 

I don't have a lot of information on population by different age ranges so I can't compute what percentage of the Student age population exists in our area but I think that we attracting a decent number of this age range. I have been interested in Antique Cars since I was very young. My first car (at age 15) was an old car but would not have been eligible for AACA events when I owned it, as it was less than 25 years old. I did not join AACA until I was in my 30's.      

We have also added other new members, including quite a few young couples. At least in Southeastern North Carolina, the future of the hobby looks bright. 

The original topic was the parallel's between the train hobby and the car hobby and the younger generations interest in them. No doubt about it the interest in both has fallen off. There are similar and  different factors that each hobby faces. For instance when you talk to the grandkids about what is happening in school and  find out that the teachers preach that the automobile is the cause of most of the ills of the planet. The kids take this to mean cars are evil. To some kids today it's not important to have a drivers license, on the contrary when I was a kid it was THE most important first thing to get on your 16th birthday. Times are changing and it's important to find out what your kids are being taught about the automobile, the oil industry,  but also about teaching history and our constitution in a fair and balanced way. If kids think cars are only a necessary evil or just a appliance they will not be in the frame of mind of cherishing and preserving them.

My kids well the two that are old enough to understand 6 and 8,  I tell constantly to not just believe everything you are told especially in school but to research it a bit to confirm it is if you have doubts,  especially after hearing some of the things they come home talking about.  I think there is a certain degree of programming going on and it's not necessarily backed by fact but feeling.  

I feel a large part of it is that "our" generation (baby boomers) were fascinated with all aspects of transportation in our formative years. Things were evolving and new almost every year, even the toys we had reflected that. Just think of air travel from the late 50's to the space program in the 60's. The younger generation has seen this same evolution with technology, ever notice the lines outside a store when a new cell phone comes out? I myself don't understand it but automobiles have been reduced to just another common appliance to this generation for the most part. My grandchildren have toy cell phones and have little interest in any toy cars. It is just generational

It is refreshing to here younger people joining regions and becoming interested but the numbers are small. When my father passed I offered my 3 sons any of my fathers cars that they wanted. Only one took me up on the offer. They too like myself grew up in the hobby but really have no interest and view it as work. My son who took my dad's 54 Chevy is somewhat active but his wife does not enjoy the social aspect. Again while us guys can talk cars at any age and find a common thread, the women have to search for that. I can understand why she does not find it that appealing because she is sitting with a bunch women that are as old or older then her mother, so that common thread is hard to find, again this is just my opinion and observation.

Both cars and trains require space, time, and money. I myself found model trains to be rather boring, it just never did it for me. I like looking at the displays and admire the great detail work, it's just not my thing. I am on the tail end of the boomer generation 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Just a thought about trains. When I was a kid it was all about cars and trains and as said before I have electric trains. When I was a little kid all I wanted to do was be a locomotive engineer and as said before I had first hand experience of riding in the cab of a living breathing beast, but by 1956 steam was going away and I realized from a early age that my dream would never be a reality. Sure I was still into electric trains of the steam era but just the same being able to live it outside of the toy train hobby was impossible.

Back ten years ago when I retired in the automotive industry I used to from time to time take home electric vehicles for discrepancies or sometimes evaluation. Those cars have about the same thrill or lack of as when as a kid I saw a diesel electric loco take over from steam.

There is something special about internal and external combustion engines and even though the diesel electric loco does have a internal combustion engine, it has that same lack of appeal that a all electric or hybrid car have for me.

But are there OTHER hobbies,

besides cars and trains, where younger people are no longer 

to be seen, where once they were common?  Is this a wide trend?

In my observations, yes, this seems to be a wide trend & starting to see it in other hobby areas.

HOWEVER ... I've seen an influx of younger people "bucking" the "digital" trend & wanting to get into a hobby like model trains (of which I am a fan, too) & cars.  I'm hoping THAT trend continues & reverses the lack of interest in today's younger crowd.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Was it worth it?" __ Taylor Swift __ 'Should've Said No'

I've seen an influx of younger people "bucking" the "digital" trend & wanting to get into a hobby like model trains (of which I am a fan, too) & cars.  I'm hoping THAT trend continues & reverses the lack of interest in today's younger crowd.

I hope this is the case, I have two comments.  First, I find it interesting that some young people are said to be interested in vinyl records.  I do not think this is totally mainstream but there seems to be a following that appreciates owning a tangible item rather than a digital file, plus an undercurrent of interest in an old technology.  This could be a positive mindset for interest in old cars. 

Second, a few years ago I read a column from Peter Egan in Road & Track.  He was asking who will replace the old timers in the car hobby and speculated that aside from pure nostalgia another reason people appreciate old cars is they appreciate good design.  He pointed out that young people are attracted to well designed items such as old guitars and 1960s GM cars and that may bring them in.  Hope so, Todd C  

Just a thought about trains. When I was a kid it was all about cars and trains and as said before I have electric trains. When I was a little kid all I wanted to do was be a locomotive engineer and as said before I had first hand experience of riding in the cab of a living breathing beast, but by 1956 steam was going away and I realized from a early age that my dream would never be a reality. Sure I was still into electric trains of the steam era but just the same being able to live it outside of the toy train hobby was impossible.

Back ten years ago when I retired in the automotive industry I used to from time to time take home electric vehicles for discrepancies or sometimes evaluation. Those cars have about the same thrill or lack of as when as a kid I saw a diesel electric loco take over from steam.

There is something special about internal and external combustion engines and even though the diesel electric loco does have a internal combustion engine, it has that same lack of appeal that a all electric or hybrid car have for me.

Helfen,very interesting observation, and something I would like to add; I remember reading Neil Young's autobiography two years ago and he himself is a car guy, (late 40's early 50's GM B.O,P, and Caddy's). Neil had said (paraphrasing) the only way electric cars will succeed is they have to appeal to the car guys, and the only way they can do that the manufacturers have make them sound and feel like a car. Once that is achieved, the car enthusiast's will accept it and only then it will take off.

It made a lot of sense to me, but cars for the most part have become nothing more then another appliance  that is consumed and replaced, there is nothing to reminisce about. How many of us feel warm and fuzzy when we see an old washing machine? They all look the same,,,,, sort of like automobiles for the past 20 years

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I hope this is the case, I have two comments.  First, I find it interesting that some young people are said to be interested in vinyl records.  I do not think this is totally mainstream but there seems to be a following that appreciates owning a tangible item rather than a digital file, plus an undercurrent of interest in an old technology.  This could be a positive mindset for interest in old cars. 

Second, a few years ago I read a column from Peter Egan in Road & Track.  He was asking who will replace the old timers in the car hobby and speculated that aside from pure nostalgia another reason people appreciate old cars is they appreciate good design.  He pointed out that young people are attracted to well designed items such as old guitars and 1960s GM cars and that may bring them in.  Hope so, Todd C  

Glad to see I'm not alone in noticing the trend for vinyl.  We have a record store here in town that specializes in vinyl records ... & he seems to have a lot of business.  Hopefully that desire is rubbing off on the old car hobby ... AND vice versa!

As for the design, the idea of "good design" is, of course, subjective ... but I hear more & more about how people wish cars had design "like they used to" ... & not just in the recent past, either.  People seem to want the bold designs that seemed to be a staple of cars in the "early years".  Details details details!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Nope, sorry, nothin'" __ Jo Dee Messina __ 'My Give A Damn's Busted'