1925 Buick Brewster Green Paint Code

Hubert_25-25

I read up a lot on Brewster Green paint codes for my Buick, and the GMC /Chevy truck paint color that comes up in the research is not a good match to the original color.  Too much like a John Deere color.  I received the following paint code from a gentleman who painted his 25-25 in Sweden using 22 line Glasurit.  I had a sample sent that I sprayed out to compare to my original paint.  The following is the paint code and it’s conversion to US spec. 

This is a high solids 2K single stage (no clear coat).    Mix is 2-1-10%reducer.

22 Line Glasurit HS 2K Topcoat VOC

MC35 (522m0 in the USA)   616.0 gram

M146    107.0 gram

M201    177.0 gram

M26     1618.0 gram

Messiers 96 (green tint M96 in USA)   834 .0 gram

M6   50.0 gram

The color match is great.  This is a difficult color to match, as it is so dark and deep, that it changes from Green to black in the right lighting.  You can see the lighting effect in the photos.  It is also very expensive paint, so I wanted to share the code with anyone who needed it.  I also wanted to know if anyone had the paint code for this color in PPG or  Dupont paint in a modern single stage. 

Thank you,  Hugh

post-153681-0-93947800-1455497762_thumb.post-153681-0-01194700-1455497791_thumb.post-153681-0-87019500-1455497815_thumb.

Edited by gr8success (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hugh.

Really good to see that the Swedish mixed paint code worked,but to translate it will be almost impossible.If this was a fabricated green color for a specifik car,  you could buy it quite easily in a paint shop.

And as you mentiened the GMC/Chevy was wrong,and even if you will find a"brewster green" on another car, the color will not match anyway I think.

Leif in Sweden.

• 6 months later...

Larry DiBarry used a paint duplicator device and came up with a pretty good match for Brewster Green.   This is a mix using Nason's, and it is a Base Clear.  If I were to tweak this color, I would add just a small amount of black or dark green.

Hugh

paint code - Nassons.jpg

Edited by gr8success (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I ended up ordering the Brewster Green Glasurit paint.  This is “22 line” which is a 3M single stage paint.  This paint is used on a lot of older cars when they want to match the original paint, especially it seems for older Porsches, Ferraris, Mercedes etc.  I have not been able to find it locally (in Houston) but I have been able to source it from Paul Francis and Co. in New Haven CT  1-203-468-8126.  My gallon, with the hardener and reducer was very expensive.  With the formula above, they can make a sample, and then it can be spray it out, and you can decide to order more to paint your car, or have it color matched.

The Nasson’s was color matched from the sample I sprayed out. It is very close in color, so close that I am using it to paint all of the inner sheetmetal on the car.   It is much less expensive.  There are a couple of reasons that I did not use it on the exterior.  I felt to get it really right, it would be best to add a little more black or dark green.  This is already a dark green.  Here is a photo of a Glasurit panel resting on a door panel painted with the Nassons.  It would take me time to adjust the Nasson’s color further, and the local autoparts store that mixes paint is not a full time paint store (O’reily auto parts), and they don’t really know how to adjust paint, so I just left it alone from the first scan.  To the point, Larry made the scan from another store, and I think they made a good match, but the guys in my local store could not even come close with just the scan.  Perhaps doing it in a single stage could have made it closer as well.  People that have seen the Nasson’s paint, do like the color.   The other issue is that this is a very difficult color to match. It will look green or black depending on the lighting.  The car photos are of Dan Evans 1925-20 Buick with 13,000 miles and original paint.  A left side photo and a right side photo and you can see the cameleon effect of the paint on the body.        Hugh

2016-10-05 14.45.13.jpgP4 Dan Evans 1925-20 Brewster Green 13000 miles.jpgP3 Dan Evans 1925-20 Brewster Green 2.JPG

• 10 months later...

This evening while working on Beulah I decided to take a few more things off to prep for painting the firewall. I was convinced that the car was a black, early "1stType" since I had not seen any evidence of Brewster Green when I had the doors off. Well, they never removed the cowl band when they painted the car red metallic in the 1970s.

Surprise! Brewster Green.DSCF6311.thumb.JPG.8529f7208060ec34d4698f743fd80100.JPGDSCF6312.thumb.JPG.c92c1fdbaca9897c409c974970e69fc8.JPG

Best regards:

Larry

• Like 2

Here are   pictures of Tommys Buick 1925-25 who has  fixed the Glasurit code for " Brewster Green"paint code, Tommy is "striping his car after he has learned how to hand paint stripes by himself.

And 2 pictures of my 1925-25  painted in late 1960s with  the old 1 componet "Cellulosa". On my car pictures you can see the differans in color when the sun is shining or not!

Leif in Sweden.

Buick 1925-25 Tommy Strangborn  (1) - Kopia.JPG

Buick 1925-25 Tommy Strangborn  (3) - Kopia.JPG

Buick 1925-25 Tommy Strangborn  (6) - Kopia.JPG

Buick 1925 Leif Holmberg (5).JPG

Buick-25 cab uppe.jpg

• Like 1

Leif:

Thank you for posting the photos of Tommy's car. We do not see many color images of these cars with a black top. The only other Brewster Green 1925 I have seen with a black top is a photo in "The Buick a Complete History" By Dunham and Gustin.  1st Color Portfolio section But it is a 25-25A. Enclosed touring. With the black top I feel the car REALY needs the red striping! The car does look drab without them. Your car with the Burbank top and red striping looks much better!

• 3 years later...
Posting the following note that I received from Mark Kikta.   Color detector guns were not able to make an accurate color match due to the paint cracks.  1922 Buick Green is a lighter green with a little more blue than Brewster Green.  Mark did some great detective work and located a source for getting accurate early car paint colors.

I think its clear that the documents which called out the green for 1922 Buick as "Brewster Green", were in error. 

You can see this PPG sample is a very close match to my original paint.  This is the paint called out in earlier documents as "Buick Green" with a suitable substitute listed as 1950 Buick "Verde Green".  According to the PPG Paint Library at the PPG Corporate Headquarters, Both 1921-22 "Buick Green" and 1947-50 "Verde Green" shared the same PPG number of 40104.

The "Special Green" used in 1916-20 Buick had a PPG number 40024.

I called PPG Corp Color library to start all of this at 800-647-6050 and talked with Linda who stated that she feels dedicated to ensure these old cars get the right paint on them. She is a very nice person and was invaluable.

Linda said that there was no viable formula available for 40104, because the paint line pieces required to mix the color were not manufactured any longer.  So the library had previously used a sample of 40104 kept in the library and scanned it to make a Rapid formula match.  This is considered a custom formula now and they will not give that to you.  So the only way to get this paint mixed is to have the library send the formula to a licensed PPG distributor, then when they mix the paint for you, they will not put a label on the can with the formula on it either. I believe the only paint you can get this in is DELTRON DBC Base Coat Clear coat.   This is not mixable in Maryland and California so I had to go to Virginia.
1586616672_PPGVerdegreenagainstny22Buick2.thumb.jpg.5d8abfb06c544233f444130b07266b81.jpg1263745630_PPGVerdegreenagainstny22Buick7.thumb.jpg.4c930554905f668e83253b1c5141a7c0.jpg1153041529_PPGVerdegreenagainstny22Buick8.thumb.jpg.5a6901a354fba33bc8d4db564783ee14.jpg
Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just as a referrence to all here is a scan from a PPG publication from 1923.

A somewhat limited pallet of colors. Noting how dark their Brewster Green is. This should be pretty accurate as to the colors since this was in a large full product line catalog for jobbers with any color plates separated by vellum sheets.

img20210118_10235052.thumb.jpg.033d48eaf2513fa4801aaf0c4a3ebfed.jpg

• Like 2

Larry, 

That is a very short  grouping of colors.  Interesting to see Chassis yellow and chassis red, and no chassis black.   The following link is Murphy Car colors 1921-1929.   Greens are on page 3.  Three shades of Brewster Green!  It must have been a hard one to match or a color used by several manufacturers or fading compensation?  Also interesting not to see Buick Green, but there is Buick Blue and Rolls Royce Blue.  Not many Rolls Royce in Blue.  Black and silver seems predominant for them.     Hugh

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/murphy-car-colors-1#parentHorizontalTab6