Sign in to follow this  
FrankWest107

Caution!!! Replica hose integrity problem

When I purchased red strip replica hoses from MAC's I, and I am ashamed of Myself, never considered the integrity of these hoses which came from wherever, India, China...Borneo???

The hose cracked and failed after 5 months, with approx 40 miles put on the hose. I bought Gates hoses from NAPA and noticed they were made in MEXICO!!. Hasta La Vista Baby.!!! I guess we only make Burgers in THe USA these days!

post-138320-0-71720000-1455488724.png

Edited by FrankWest107 (see edit history)

At least they were not from China! Mexico can be OK for some things, but China quality is really hit or miss with more emphasis on miss!

Terry

I have had a modern repro radiator hose split on me after only a few hundred miles.  And for many of us, our thermostats would flip inside the hoses when they should have been very snug.   A fellow in my local club did some research.  He found that the inner diameter of the latest repro hoses to be bigger than that of previous repro hoses.  That is why our in-hose thermostats were flipping in the hose.  I guess we are stuck with the newer hoses that are a tad too big.  We have solved the t-stat problem in a variety of creative ways. 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

It depends on who in China makes the part. The Good side or the bad side.  A product of uncontrolled and so somewhat unregulated manufacturing.  No way here to refuse to buy from the bad ones as it is almost impossible to know who is providing bad parts. Maybe part of the Chinese governments plan to destroy the U.S.?

The dimensions are different because they use metric measurements. I used to buy flex  steel exhaust pipe for model A Ford heaters but found that the last batch made somewhere didn't fit and the dimensions were "close but no cigar".

The dimensions may be different but it's not because of which measuring system is used.  An object is the same size regardless of what units you use to measure it.

The dimensions may be different but it's not because of which measuring system is used.  An object is the same size regardless of what units you use to measure it.

That was my thought,

But we all know, Metric ain't American.

Several years ago there was an attempt to convert America to the metric system, there are many places that you will find metric parts here but is not the standard that they tried to ram down our throats.

I finally had to buy metric tools but rarely use them .

My remark about metric was that they supplied the nearest metric size but sold it as  1 3/4" and it obviously wasn't.