1930s floorboard insulation and floor mat

embe5412

Where does a guy go to buy that finely shredded straw-like substance used to insulate the floorboards? Plus the rubber/linoleum-like one piece floor mat? Does anyone have any leads of people in the 1930s floor mat business? This is going in a 1936 Plymouth. I'm not just sticking a piece of carpet down there. I want it done right they way it originally was. Thank you for any help.

Edited by embe5412 (see edit history)

Jon, 

Your best bet would be to get a piece of "jute" backing which is nothing more than a 1/2 in thick felt mat. You could also use a piece of fabric carpet pad that you could find at a carpet store. The "jute" is available at Restoration Specialties in PA or at some of the other specialty parts suppliers. As for a rubber mat you'll not find an original pre-cut mat for your car, even the parts houses who claim to sell a mat that fits is nothing but a piece of cut rubber matting. RS also sells running lengths of rubber matting in different patterns, it's best to buy some and cut your own. RS's catalog is available at restorationspecialties.com. I'm sure that you may be able to find something closer to your location, even a company that sells rubber floor matting. I used the 1/8 corrugated mat for my trunk, it looks like the original. Good hunting.

Try this:

1935, 1937-1941 brown floor mat. 1935 Plymouth front floor mat with correct pattern, $220; 1937-41 Plymouth,Dodge, DeSoto brown front mat, $220. $20 S&H, most locations. William Knudsen, 333 Orange St, Wyandotte, MI 48192. (734) 626 0261.   XXXwknudsen402@aol.com  (I disguised this with XXX, to help Mr. Knudsen!  Delete the X's before sending.)

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)