g-g-g0

1957 Buick Special Restomod Project

Can't wait to see what color it turns out!!!?

Made a visit to check progress yesterday. No pictures as they would pretty much be a repeat. Body is now completely disassembled again, doors, fenders, hood and trunk lid removed and body openings covered and taped off. Plans are to prime Monday and allow primer to cure for two to three days and hopefully do one more final sand and a final coat of primer! We are getting there!

Removed all of the completed parts and fabric from the upholstery source. Will be moving the remaining work (headliner, carpet and trunk area) to another shop. One has to be absolutely crazy to undertake a project of this magnitude in this day and age! Oh by the way, he lost the interior sun visors! Anyone happen to have a spare set they would part with?

Hang with me! It’s gonna happen!

• Like 5

After reading about the hassells one gets into at the shops,I

believe if I was to do something like this, I would just hire a man fulltime and do it in my shop.

Anxious!

Ben

Ben you are probably on the right track, however with all of the skills required it would be a pretty special person! Even the shop that I am at currently who has done Riddler Class projects and many others say that even thought they have the equipment, shop and knowledgeable personnel, they would out source work like frame construction and etc. Just requires so many special skills! 

Solution is to find a completed project as close to your dreams as possible and buy it! Elimates a lot of head aches ?! Live and learn!

Quick update! Project still progressing along with out me. I've been doing battle with stenosis and not getting much else done. Will not bore you with more pictures of the car in prime (Surely it has at least 50 coats of prime and has added another 400 pounds to the curb weight!) it is now in FINAL PRIME!!!! Light sanding early next week and then some color!!! Progress is slow but steady!!! Biggest problem now is finding all of the parts. After moving the car from one shop to another and now the upholstery shop guy just disappears and there is a new owner (fortunately I had removed everything from his shop but am missing some trim from the bucket seats that will likely be easy to come up with), I am trying to account for everything so that it might be reassembled as a complete car yet in my life time!!! YIPPIE!!!!

A word of advise for those considering such a project. Either do the work your self OR find a large enough shop that can complete the project. Better yet, go buy a completed project that is close to your desires and tweak it to your fancy!!!!!

Hopefully some COLOR pictures in the next couple of weeks!!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 1957buickjim said:

Gary,

About time! Glad to hear it and can't wait for pictures.

Thanks Jim and others that have offered their support throughout this difficult and stressful build! Thanks

g-g-g-O  The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. The start of a project Buick with the single turn of a wrench or screwdriver. You are at least on the home stretch with this great project. I'm barely seeing over the top of the trench with my '34. You and several others are my inspiration to keep going so hang in there. There are many more of us following you on this rutted road of restoration, resto-mods or refreshings of the Buick markee.  

• Like 1

Thanks Mark for the kind words! It people like you and many other of my BUICK friends that keep me charging on! Hope the engine has not locked up from sitting so long!!! ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, it has been awhile since an update! SURPRISE!!!! It is painted about half wet sanded and buffed! The paint is AWESOME! Further assembly required (doors, hood, truck lid) and then back to the upholstery shop to finish the interior! Finally, I believe the thing will get finished. 

No word on color or pictures just yet! I think it deserves to be completely assembled and in some nice bright sunshine for its debut!

Stay tuned! More to come after the first of the year! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hoping to hear about progress on this beauty.

• Like 1

Long time with no post! Thanks @leon bee for bringing it back to the surface again! 

The pain and agony of the build still continues although progress is slow! The finish line is in sight! Car is painted and probably 98+% assembled. Should go to another upholstery shop soon to correct some poor workmanship from previous shop plus complete the interior (door panels, head liner, carpets and trunk area). Just waiting to get the car worked in to his schedule. After upholstery, it needs to have some final tuning done to the engine/fuel injection and then maybe, just maybe, the damned thing will finally be complete!

Had hoped that it could have made it to OK City this summer, but that ain’t gonna happen! Cleveland is not terribly far down the road so maybe it will make it there! Here’s hoping anyway!

Thanks again friends for thinking about this project.

Gary

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t even seen it! Picking it up tomorrow! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1