g-g-g0

1957 Buick Special Restomod Project

Maybe it will be a running driving car again!! I love it when there is visible progress!!

20160902_182347[1].jpg

20160902_182255[1].jpg

20160902_182314[1].jpg

20160902_182242[1].jpg

20160902_182324[1].jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Ben! They do look pretty cool. Yes the engine has been run on a test stand but I was not around. Soon it should be able to start on MY DEMAND!

Gary

• Like 4

Well, nearly a month has passed since I shared a progress report. Still moving along but not a lot of visible progress. Wiring is coming along and being labeled. Under hood wiring an plumbing is almost complete. Dash is temporarily set in place so that wiring can be laid out. Upholstery work is moving along also on loose parts. In the middle picture (the dark photo) you can see a glimpse of the chrome window frame (w/glass) peaking above the body. Power window mechanisms are mounted and wiring being completed. The sound system is coming together also. Sub woofer is in place. Sorta looks like we may have TUNES before we hear the engine run!!!

Verne and Shane are off to SEMA today and will be gone for the week so no progress next week. They need a break and who knows, after seeing all of the neat stuff at SEMA they may come back and want to do a complete make over! NOT!!!!!

Stay tuned and thanks for following this build.

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

Sorta looks like we may have TUNES before we hear the engine run!!!

Maybe when parked.  I don't think I would need any additional entertainment after starting the engine and putting in gear.:P

• Like 4

Well, Buick project is finally back on tract and headed towards completion!!! 

Today I heard the engine fire for the first time!! Literally!! A bit out of time but a little computer time should correct this!

Buick Restomod engine running.mp4

• Like 4

Great to hear (literally) things are moving again Gary!  Can't wait to see more progress ?

• Like 3

Are you running progressive linkage with EFI?

Hey Gary!

How about an update? Got her on the road yet? Looking forward to finding out whats happening on your project!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim and Beemon, thank you for your continued interest. Still not much progress to report other than what has been posted. Some progress is being made however very slow. Have hopes for a 2018 completion but will have to wait and see.

Merry Christmas to all! 

Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's probably a little like building a house. We can stand around a bit wondering why it's taking so long, but nobody really puts their finger on it. Happy New Year, Gary!

• Like 3

Gary, I was wondering of you know the guy on here that goes by the name of 421 6speed ? He like you is doing a '57 Buick with extensive modifications. I was really enjoying his thread as I do yours and I'm wondering if that car was ever finished ? You both seem to have the master's touch on these '57's

• Like 1

Thank you Mark! I have corresponded with 421 6speed several times but not in the past several months. We have furnished each other with parts but do not know where he stands with his project. The last time we communicated he was "side tracked" on a Pontiac project. I do have contact information so will reach out to him and see if he responds. Will post a response if I hear from him? 

Still have hopes that substantial progress will be made on my project in the near future!

Happy New Year to all! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

Still have hopes that substantial progress will be made on my project in the near future!

It's one thing if you're working on a a project yourself in your spare time.  In that case, work can be slow.

However, if you've turned to project over to outsiders (and are presumably paying them handsomely for the effort), then you shouldn't have to hope for progress; you should expect it. If you're getting more excuses than work, perhaps what's needed is a more professional and competent shop.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, Mark Simmons said:

Gary, I was wondering of you know the guy on here that goes by the name of 421 6speed ? He like you is doing a '57 Buick with extensive modifications. I was really enjoying his thread as I do yours and I'm wondering if that car was ever finished ? You both seem to have the master's touch on these '57's

Mark

Exchanged emails with 421 6 Speed. His car is and has been on hold for some time. Got involved in a Pontiac project that ended up being a frame off restoration and then a remodel project on his home. Plans on being back on his Buick project this year.

Gary

Just an update on the project. Car was recently moved to another shop. Significant progress is being made! Needed to make s few changes to previously done metal work to prepare the project for final fitment of doors, deck lid and etc. Should be ready for block sanding, final prime and paint VERY soon! Just maybe this thing will finally be a completed project!! YIPPIE!

Thanks again to those die hards that have stuck with me on this project with inquiries and kind words.

Gary

• Like 4

Glad to hear this great news, looking forward to seeing it!!!?

• Like 1

Wow Gary this is great news !! I'm looking forward to seeing your posts on this great project as it gets completed. Mark

• Like 1

Quick update! Progress being made!!! Fitment of all panels has been completed as well as repair of some of previous work as can be seed in areas showing bare metal. The shop is finishing up painting and assembly of a 60's T Bird project and have started block sanding my car as seen. Very happy that things are moving along and visible progress being made, Been a long year in coming!!! By the way looked at the paint on the T Bird and it is FANTASTIC!!!! Can't wait to get some color on this car!!

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021 (1).JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

• Like 1

Lookin good Gary!!! I love the '57 sweepspears and the roof line and rear window treatment. Refresh my memory, is their chrome on the raised strip that runs down the roof line and the trunk lid? The only thing that looks a bit awkward on the '57's is the front bumper, the dagmars make it look a bit bottom heavy IMO.  A '57 Olds is a bit cleaner in my opinion. But hey, tha's jist my opinion.:)

Looking forward to seeing some color on that baby. What color is it going to be btw.?

1957-buick-roadmaster-75-excellent-condition--3.jpg1957-oldsmobile-super-88-001.jpg

Thank you Lamar. Been a long and stressful journey!

No chrome on the widow dividers or trunk lid. Roadmaster model only. I tend to agree that the Olds front end is a bit less massive but after all it is a BUICK! Going to hold off in disclosing the color for a bit as I think (I hope) that it will be worthy of an unveiling in a bright sunny setting. I am hopeful that this can be accomplished before the snowfall sets in this coming winter. Hang in there with me!

• Like 1

Hi do you have the old power steering pullies for the crank and water pump and the steering pump and brackets for sale 

please email if you do. Barkwood@iinet.net.au

scott 

Well a bit more progress. Currently my project is a fill in until the TBird is wet sanded and re assembled. Getting close!!! Suspect that it will be a couple of more weeks before it becomes a full time effort for the shop! I did pick up the front seats from the upholstery shop last week. That completes the interior except for carpet, head liner and door panels plus the trunk. Will complete that after the paint is complete and car is reassembled. 

The pictures this week look worse that the previous ones! As the old saying goes, "Things gotta get worse before they get better"! Really no surprises with the block sanding to date. When complete and after a recoat of epoxy I think things will progress rapidly!! All good stuff.

For those at the Nationals this week ENJOY!! Sure wish I was there but just did not work out.

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

• Like 4