1957 Buick Special Restomod Project

• 4 months later...

Jim and Beemon, thank you for your continued interest. Still not much progress to report other than what has been posted. Some progress is being made however very slow. Have hopes for a 2018 completion but will have to wait and see.

Merry Christmas to all! 

Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary, I was wondering of you know the guy on here that goes by the name of 421 6speed ? He like you is doing a '57 Buick with extensive modifications. I was really enjoying his thread as I do yours and I'm wondering if that car was ever finished ? You both seem to have the master's touch on these '57's

• Like 1

Thank you Mark! I have corresponded with 421 6speed several times but not in the past several months. We have furnished each other with parts but do not know where he stands with his project. The last time we communicated he was "side tracked" on a Pontiac project. I do have contact information so will reach out to him and see if he responds. Will post a response if I hear from him? 

Still have hopes that substantial progress will be made on my project in the near future!

Happy New Year to all! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

Still have hopes that substantial progress will be made on my project in the near future!

It's one thing if you're working on a a project yourself in your spare time.  In that case, work can be slow.

However, if you've turned to project over to outsiders (and are presumably paying them handsomely for the effort), then you shouldn't have to hope for progress; you should expect it. If you're getting more excuses than work, perhaps what's needed is a more professional and competent shop.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, Mark Simmons said:

Gary, I was wondering of you know the guy on here that goes by the name of 421 6speed ? He like you is doing a '57 Buick with extensive modifications. I was really enjoying his thread as I do yours and I'm wondering if that car was ever finished ? You both seem to have the master's touch on these '57's

Mark

Exchanged emails with 421 6 Speed. His car is and has been on hold for some time. Got involved in a Pontiac project that ended up being a frame off restoration and then a remodel project on his home. Plans on being back on his Buick project this year.

Gary

• 3 months later...

Just an update on the project. Car was recently moved to another shop. Significant progress is being made! Needed to make s few changes to previously done metal work to prepare the project for final fitment of doors, deck lid and etc. Should be ready for block sanding, final prime and paint VERY soon! Just maybe this thing will finally be a completed project!! YIPPIE!

Thanks again to those die hards that have stuck with me on this project with inquiries and kind words.

Gary

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update! Progress being made!!! Fitment of all panels has been completed as well as repair of some of previous work as can be seed in areas showing bare metal. The shop is finishing up painting and assembly of a 60's T Bird project and have started block sanding my car as seen. Very happy that things are moving along and visible progress being made, Been a long year in coming!!! By the way looked at the paint on the T Bird and it is FANTASTIC!!!! Can't wait to get some color on this car!!

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021 (1).JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

• Like 2

Lookin good Gary!!! I love the '57 sweepspears and the roof line and rear window treatment. Refresh my memory, is their chrome on the raised strip that runs down the roof line and the trunk lid? The only thing that looks a bit awkward on the '57's is the front bumper, the dagmars make it look a bit bottom heavy IMO.  A '57 Olds is a bit cleaner in my opinion. But hey, tha's jist my opinion.:)

Looking forward to seeing some color on that baby. What color is it going to be btw.?

1957-buick-roadmaster-75-excellent-condition--3.jpg1957-oldsmobile-super-88-001.jpg

Thank you Lamar. Been a long and stressful journey!

No chrome on the widow dividers or trunk lid. Roadmaster model only. I tend to agree that the Olds front end is a bit less massive but after all it is a BUICK! Going to hold off in disclosing the color for a bit as I think (I hope) that it will be worthy of an unveiling in a bright sunny setting. I am hopeful that this can be accomplished before the snowfall sets in this coming winter. Hang in there with me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well a bit more progress. Currently my project is a fill in until the TBird is wet sanded and re assembled. Getting close!!! Suspect that it will be a couple of more weeks before it becomes a full time effort for the shop! I did pick up the front seats from the upholstery shop last week. That completes the interior except for carpet, head liner and door panels plus the trunk. Will complete that after the paint is complete and car is reassembled. 

The pictures this week look worse that the previous ones! As the old saying goes, "Things gotta get worse before they get better"! Really no surprises with the block sanding to date. When complete and after a recoat of epoxy I think things will progress rapidly!! All good stuff.

For those at the Nationals this week ENJOY!! Sure wish I was there but just did not work out.

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Made a visit to check progress yesterday. No pictures as they would pretty much be a repeat. Body is now completely disassembled again, doors, fenders, hood and trunk lid removed and body openings covered and taped off. Plans are to prime Monday and allow primer to cure for two to three days and hopefully do one more final sand and a final coat of primer! We are getting there!

Removed all of the completed parts and fabric from the upholstery source. Will be moving the remaining work (headliner, carpet and trunk area) to another shop. One has to be absolutely crazy to undertake a project of this magnitude in this day and age! Oh by the way, he lost the interior sun visors! Anyone happen to have a spare set they would part with?

Hang with me! It’s gonna happen!

• Like 5

Ben you are probably on the right track, however with all of the skills required it would be a pretty special person! Even the shop that I am at currently who has done Riddler Class projects and many others say that even thought they have the equipment, shop and knowledgeable personnel, they would out source work like frame construction and etc. Just requires so many special skills! 

Solution is to find a completed project as close to your dreams as possible and buy it! Elimates a lot of head aches ?! Live and learn!

• 1 month later...

Quick update! Project still progressing along with out me. I've been doing battle with stenosis and not getting much else done. Will not bore you with more pictures of the car in prime (Surely it has at least 50 coats of prime and has added another 400 pounds to the curb weight!) it is now in FINAL PRIME!!!! Light sanding early next week and then some color!!! Progress is slow but steady!!! Biggest problem now is finding all of the parts. After moving the car from one shop to another and now the upholstery shop guy just disappears and there is a new owner (fortunately I had removed everything from his shop but am missing some trim from the bucket seats that will likely be easy to come up with), I am trying to account for everything so that it might be reassembled as a complete car yet in my life time!!! YIPPIE!!!!

A word of advise for those considering such a project. Either do the work your self OR find a large enough shop that can complete the project. Better yet, go buy a completed project that is close to your desires and tweak it to your fancy!!!!!

Hopefully some COLOR pictures in the next couple of weeks!!!

• Like 5

g-g-g-O  The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. The start of a project Buick with the single turn of a wrench or screwdriver. You are at least on the home stretch with this great project. I'm barely seeing over the top of the trench with my '34. You and several others are my inspiration to keep going so hang in there. There are many more of us following you on this rutted road of restoration, resto-mods or refreshings of the Buick markee.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it has been awhile since an update! SURPRISE!!!! It is painted about half wet sanded and buffed! The paint is AWESOME! Further assembly required (doors, hood, truck lid) and then back to the upholstery shop to finish the interior! Finally, I believe the thing will get finished. 

No word on color or pictures just yet! I think it deserves to be completely assembled and in some nice bright sunshine for its debut!

Stay tuned! More to come after the first of the year! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Long time with no post! Thanks @leon bee for bringing it back to the surface again! 

The pain and agony of the build still continues although progress is slow! The finish line is in sight! Car is painted and probably 98+% assembled. Should go to another upholstery shop soon to correct some poor workmanship from previous shop plus complete the interior (door panels, head liner, carpets and trunk area). Just waiting to get the car worked in to his schedule. After upholstery, it needs to have some final tuning done to the engine/fuel injection and then maybe, just maybe, the damned thing will finally be complete!

Had hoped that it could have made it to OK City this summer, but that ain’t gonna happen! Cleveland is not terribly far down the road so maybe it will make it there! Here’s hoping anyway!

Thanks again friends for thinking about this project.

Gary

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gary...WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!! Hey guy! Hope you're doing well. You got to let us in on this. It looks fabulous!!! share some pictures and stories about picking it up with us! Thanks.

• Like 2