As long as I am confessing my mistakes How to remove old flex brake lines

After twisting the steel brake line on a car, I sat there and thought about what I had done and how I could have done better.

The answer is............IF you are replacing the flex line CUT it!  You don't care what it looks like in the trash.  Then put your eye goggles on and heat the fitting of the steel and flex line.  The heat will blow the rubber line out of the crimp that holds it on...NOW after the fittings cool......You can almost loosen the fittings with your fingers?!  If not, put the special wrench on the steel line and rotate the FLEX line off the steel line.  Done the easy way.

One more tip on removing a bad 02 sensor.  It is bad so once again you don't care what it looks like in the trash bin.  Smash the top off the sensor so you can get a box end wrench on the fitting.  Now you have the best leverage possible on something that has practically welded itself in place.  You can then lace another wrench to that one to increase you torque.  OR if you a lazy like me cut the open end off the wrench and slide a piece of steel conduit over the end of the wrench.  Now you can have a 5' breaker bar to loosen it.  Once you get that first click and it breaks loose, you have an easy job.  My conduit has a slight bend in it so I can actually loosen it from the top of the engine!  Special O2 wrenches will fail to work on a turbo car.

One more tip.  Getting the nut off the front hubs.  Grrr......Conduit again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack the car up.  Put the socket and breaker bar on the nut so that you can add 5 feet of conduit on the end of the breaker bar.  On the right side of the car have the far end of the conduit touching the ground.  Slowly lower the car and the leverage will loosen the nut.  Breaker bar and conduit to the front of car on the driver's side.  (I think that's right)_  Wait to see what Hemi says!

After twisting the steel brake line on a car, I sat there and thought about what I had done and how I could have done better.

The answer is............IF you are replacing the flex line CUT it!  You don't care what it looks like in the trash.  Then put your eye goggles on and heat the fitting of the steel and flex line.  The heat will blow the rubber line out of the crimp that holds it on...NOW after the fittings cool......You can almost loosen the fittings with your fingers?!  If not, put the special wrench on the steel line and rotate the FLEX line off the steel line.  Done the easy way.

One more tip on removing a bad 02 sensor.  It is bad so once again you don't care what it looks like in the trash bin.  Smash the top off the sensor so you can get a box end wrench on the fitting.  Now you have the best leverage possible on something that has practically welded itself in place.  You can then lace another wrench to that one to increase you torque.  OR if you a lazy like me cut the open end off the wrench and slide a piece of steel conduit over the end of the wrench.  Now you can have a 5' breaker bar to loosen it.  Once you get that first click and it breaks loose, you have an easy job.  My conduit has a slight bend in it so I can actually loosen it from the top of the engine!  Special O2 wrenches will fail to work on a turbo car.

One more tip.  Getting the nut off the front hubs.  Grrr......Conduit again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack the car up.  Put the socket and breaker bar on the nut so that you can add 5 feet of conduit on the end of the breaker bar.  On the right side of the car have the far end of the conduit touching the ground.  Slowly lower the car and the leverage will loosen the nut.  Breaker bar and conduit to the front of car on the driver's side.  (I think that's right)_  Wait to see what Hemi says!

Right side (passenger side) bar to the front of the car, Left (driver's side) bar toward the rear of the car, to loosen the nut. I just use my 1/2" Air Wrench.

Right side (passenger side) bar to the front of the car, Left (driver's side) bar toward the rear of the car, to loosen the nut. I just use my 1/2" Air Wrench.

Me too now.  I figured out 70 is too old for those antics.       I  would like to add a 3 car garage  with a full hoist but I'm too cheap.  Gonna be 73 in a month.

Me too now.  I figured out 70 is too old for those antics.       I  would like to add a 3 car garage  with a full hoist but I'm too cheap.  Gonna be 73 in a month.

Well, you know that you can't take it with you, so spend the bucks and enjoy it while you can. I'm pushing 77 and am still working, building engines and stuff.

Me too, hitting 74 and hitting the highways and by way. Keeping the car running and spending the money I still make for all the good times to come. Hemi knows what I mean.....

Are we driving to Carlisle this summer? Chryslers at Carlisle July 15 - 17.