It's time for a poll

RivNut

4 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Gents, the Riviera guys from Western PA know this singer/entertainer an under the radar star.

Great cruising tune with your main squeeze in your Riviera.

That is awesome!  I can't stop listening to it. Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 1

Never an argument when it comes to music. I hope that the thread does go on forever. Here are a few that some of you old timers may remember.

Pipeline-Chantays

Rumble-Link Wray

Walk Don't Run-Ventures

Sleep Walk-Santo & Johnny

Start out with Highway Star and end up with Sleep Walk-I guess that it means it's bedtime-Good night. 

• Like 1

I know that this song has been mentioned previously but there's a back story that goes with it for me.  I had a friend in high school who had a 63 Impala SS.  With Pipeline on the radio, he would set the background guitar beat of the song to the white stripes on the highway between his house and the high school.  In central Kansas, the white lines would pass to the beat of the music at 110 mph.  Dumb A$$ Kids that we were.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Pipeline, huh? Reminds me of a story.

Three college students were rapping about who they'd like to be cast off on a desert with. The first one opted for Cindy Crawford. The next one chose Pamela Anderson. The third man chose Virginia Pipeline. "Never heard of her." his companions protested.

"Who is she?"

"Why she's just the greatest Italian gal of all, making the headlines in the newspaper," replied the third man.

"See, here it is on page one: FIVE DIE LAYING VIRGINIA PIPELINE"

• Haha 2

On 2/13/2016 at 11:56 PM, jframe said:

Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger, Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles, almost anything by Journey or ZZ Top, and an old song Robert Plant did as a solo artist back in about 83 or 84 called Big Log.

Sir, have not seen nary one tune recorded in Muscle Shoals on your list. You been hangin’ with some sorry Yankees ? How about “ Smile Away” by Wet Willie?

RRB

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 3:31 AM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Never an argument when it comes to music. I hope that the thread does go on forever. Here are a few that some of you old timers may remember.

Pipeline-Chantays

Rumble-Link Wray

Walk Don't Run-Ventures

Sleep Walk-Santo & Johnny

Start out with Highway Star and end up with Sleep Walk-I guess that it means it's bedtime-Good night. 

Bill, If you remember Santo & Johnny you’ve been around for a bit.

RRB

On 2/13/2016 at 2:44 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Good thing that Olds song is posted in the Buick section. Someone might ask where the 394 went.

Next thing you know they'll be putting this to music.

Shes real fun my 401
Shes real fun my 401
My 401

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes
(giddy up giddy up 401)
For I knew there would be a time
(giddy up giddy up 401)
When I would buy a brand new 401
(401, 401)
Giddy up giddy up giddy up 401
(giddy up giddy up 401)
Giddy up 401
(giddy up giddy up 401)
Giddy up 401
(giddy up giddy up 401)
Giddy up 40...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my 401
401 ooooo
(giddy up giddy up oooo)
(giddy up giddy up oooo)
(giddy up giddy up oooo)
(giddy up giddy up)

When I take her to the cruise she really shines
(giddy up giddy up 401)
She  attracts the milfs and they stand in lines
(giddy up giddy up 401)
My big floatin Dynaflow wide ass 401
(401, 401, 401, 401)

Giddy up giddy up giddy up 401
(giddy up giddy up 401)
Giddy up 401
(giddy up giddy up 401)
Giddy up 401
(giddy up giddy up 401)
Giddy up 40...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my 401
(401 401 401 401)
Giddy up 401
(401 401 401 401)
Giddy up 401
(401 401 401 401)

Bernie

Bernie, we have to collaborate on some song lyrics. How about we start with “she is as wrong for me as two left shoes.”

RRB

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Sir, have not seen nary one tune recorded in Muscle Shoals on your list. You been hangin’ with some sorry Yankees ? How about “ Smile Away” by Wet Willie?

RRB

Bob, "Hollywood Nights" came off the second album with the Silver Bullet Band, "Stranger in Town", which was recorded, at least in part, at Muscle Shoals Sound, down by the river. Can I make it qualify this way? :D

7 hours ago, jframe said:

Bob, "Hollywood Nights" came off the second album with the Silver Bullet Band, "Stranger in Town", which was recorded, at least in part, at Muscle Shoals Sound, down by the river. Can I make it qualify this way? :D

jframe, Yes, you are in and thank goodness you are not running' with any of the sorry Yankees from Lutherville MD! Bob Seeger was a big fan of George Jackson American songwriter. Remember the hit Bob Seeger had with " Old Time Rock n Roll"? George Jackson wrote the song and Bob Seeger had a smash hit. Otis Clay RIP singer from Mississippi did not have the name recognition Al Green has; however, Otis had the songs and the recordings for the r e a l down home Southern Soul crowd. Otis had a hit in 71 entitled "trying to live life w/o you" written by George Jackson. I do " Trying to Live Life w/o You" which was covered by Bob Seeger and yours truly, Jr Bynum. ( Bynum is my birth name and I"m a Jr). 

Keep smiling and stay well,

Merry Christmas,

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

jframe, Yes, you are in and thank goodness you are not running' with any of the sorry Yankees from Lutherville MD! Bob Seeger was a big fan of George Jackson American songwriter. Remember the hit Bob Seeger had with " Old Time Rock n Roll"? George Jackson wrote the song and Bob Seeger had a smash hit. Otis Clay RIP singer from Mississippi did not have the name recognition Al Green has; however, Otis had the songs and the recordings for the r e a l down home Southern Soul crowd. Otis had a hit in 71 entitled "trying to live life w/o you" written by George Jackson. I do " Trying to Live Life w/o You" which was covered by Bob Seeger and yours truly, Jr Bynum. ( Bynum is my birth name and I"m a Jr). 

Keep smiling and stay well,

Merry Christmas,

Red Riviera Bob

Segar DID have a huge hit with "Old Time Rock n Roll, and all of the musicians on the track are local boys from Muscle Shoals, too.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, jframe said:

Segar DID have a huge hit with "Old Time Rock n Roll, and all of the musicians on the track are local boys from Muscle Shoals, too.

Mark, fact o’ Business, yes Bob Seeger had the first hit with Old Time Rock n Roll. I lost count on how many times that song has gone through the wash cycle. Muscle Shoals musicians and Recording studios put Alabama on the map. Crabs and corrupt politicians put Maryland on the map. Maryland has precious few big name top flight musicians in commercial music. We have plenty that can play, but do not have national recognition like Muscle Shoals players. My favorite is from Florence Alabama, Dan Penn ( old school).

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:35 PM, arnulfo de l.a. said:

"WHITTIER BLVD"by Willie G and THEE MIDNITERS

Sir, you might be Old School. If you are remember “ Somebody Please” recorded in LA radio station 1969.

Big Manny recorded the tune before he passed. Big Manny will be missed. The group that recorded the piece name started with a V.

10 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ronnie, a few days ago the CD Reckoning was nominated by the Blues Foundation for Soul Blues Album of the year.

Thanks! I just got the Billy Price - Alive and Strange CD. I bought it because first because it had the live version of "One More Day" like in the youTube video you posted.  I love all the songs on it!  Reckoning will be next on my list.  I might have got to it first had I known it would be the Soul Blues album of the year. :)

On 1/12/2019 at 11:44 AM, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Bob ,yes i am old school. 63 yrs old but i got to say you got me stumped. I remember the song and some lyrics but cant come up with the artist. During the sixties i was listening to whatever my older brothers ( had 6 older and 2 younger) were playing at the time . Good times!

Sir, I’m a little older, but not much., I’m 69. I’m a R&B hound since I was a kid. Willie G and Thee Midniters are from LA. I lived in LA from 63-67 in a little incorporated town , Lomita in LA County. The car culture from LA captured me. I was after a 64 Chev SS or the 63-65 Riviera. The Riviera does not have to have a thing changed by modification. The Riviera is my travel back in time.

The name of the group that did “ Somebody Please” was the Vanguards. Big Manny and his guys were from East LA in a band called The Blazers.

• 10 months later...
On 2/10/2016 at 10:50 AM, Seafoam65 said:

Ditto on Green Onions.....the best cruising song ever. My other favorite would be the

theme from Route 66.

Your are 200% per right. Among the best rhythm group around and even now highly respected musicians. Steve “ The Colonel” Cropper was the band director not only for this band, but for the Stax Volt Studio in Memphis. If you like R&B and down home soul you’ll like ANY recording on the Stax Volt label. Stax recorded the soul/R&B giants in the 60’s.

Steve Cropper still works to this day and connects with industry stars.

Turbinator

Steve Cropper along Donald "Duck" Dunn, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Lou Marini, Alan Rubin, Willie Hall, T9m "Bones" Malone, and others made up the "Blues Brothers band" in the movie of the same name.  What did it take to bring all these musicians together to make this movie?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 8:47 PM, RivNut said:

Steve Cropper along Donald "Duck" Dunn, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Lou Marini, Alan Rubin, Willie Hall, T9m "Bones" Malone, and others made up the "Blues Brothers band" in the movie of the same name.  What did it take to bring all these musicians together to make this movie?

Money.