1927 Franklin Coupe

Guest cpgosnell

Guest cpgosnell

Hello,

I am new to the Franklin world and was wondering if anyone would give me some information.  We own a beautiful 1927 Franklin, but it has been sitting for years without being started.  We are wanting to get it running and wanted to know if there is anything we should know before doing so.  For instance if there is a certain oil weight that should be use etc...we are wanting to get it running, because we also would like to sell it. Any information would be helpful.  Is there any place I can find out a value as well?

Thanks,

Colleenpost-156165-0-76960300-1455057246_thumb.

Go to www.franklincar.org and start there.  If you do not have one, buy an owners manual, and do post your location, there are owners in every state who can help you.  There is a number of things you want to do if the car hasn't been run for a long time.

Gordon Howard

• 5 months later...

On a series 11 that has been sitting one must first determine whether any valves are stuck, by pushing down on each valve before you try to turn it over.  Failure to do this will result in a broken valve cage.  Soak the valves, wait, then press down on each one, one at a time.  You can also lightly "strike" each valve with a rubber or leather hammer.  Then you are free to attempt to turn it over.  Sorry I am so late to the post. 

• 3 weeks later...

Colleen  The first thing you need to do is flush out the fuel system to get rid of the old gas.  Take the carb apart and clean it out.  Check the oil make sure it is some what clean as far as having somewhat of a clear look and not black.  If black change it.  Then put a new battery in it  6 volt positive ground.  Then pull the air dome off,  remove the valve covers pour some oil over the valves, unhook the coil wire from the coil end.  Now bump the starter and watch the valves to see that they are all moving up and down.  If they are hook the coil wire up spray some gas into the carb and see if She will come alive for you.

Good luck  

Mike

I have a 29 130  sedan