BenBuick38

Buick Super 2d Coupe 1941

Leave it rusty.

Rusty cars run cooler and are not weighed down by the excess weight of powder coat and paint.

If you restore an old car to look new, it looks good for awhile but 20 years later it looks like an old car again. If you leave it rusty it reaches a point where it never gets any older after that.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of mine. It's done in Royal Maroon now, which seems to suit it very well, originally a medium blue, I don't remember the name, but it was the original paint.

Keith

attachicon.gif2Buicks2Crop_sml.jpgattachicon.gif41BuickPrkwd2_Sml.jpg

Hi Beautiful car you got ,, I have also an Buick Century With maroon red color , but that is a 1938

In what shape was your car when you got it

post-146893-0-33877800-1456723151_thumb.

BT

• Like 1

My car was in sad shape. Considerable body rust, especially the floor and rockers were non existent. The previous owner had started restoration of the car, but some of the work was very poorly done and I had to tear it out and start again. Some one else had repaired the rear fenders, and they looked fine on the floor, but would not fit on the car anymore, due to heat distortion. I found one NOS, but the other one I to cut apart and weld it together into the correct shape.

On the plus side, the doors were nearly perfect, the hood was perfect, no rust or even a dent, and the trunk lid was good. All the trim was present, but had been removed, and a few pieces were damaged, but otherwise was complete.

With mine it was an all or nothing kind of car, as there was no chance of driving it in its' current condition, so it got the full treatment.

I love the car, and I really like to drive it.

Keith

My car was in sad shape. Considerable body rust, especially the floor and rockers were non existent. The previous owner had started restoration of the car, but some of the work was very poorly done and I had to tear it out and start again. Some one else had repaired the rear fenders, and they looked fine on the floor, but would not fit on the car anymore, due to heat distortion. I found one NOS, but the other one I to cut apart and weld it together into the correct shape.

On the plus side, the doors were nearly perfect, the hood was perfect, no rust or even a dent, and the trunk lid was good. All the trim was present, but had been removed, and a few pieces were damaged, but otherwise was complete.

With mine it was an all or nothing kind of car, as there was no chance of driving it in its' current condition, so it got the full treatment.

I love the car, and I really like to drive it.

Keith

I guess I got lucky with mine, it's been garaged all its life and everything is there and original. Surface rust, interior is deteriorated, none of the lights work, but I don't need to touch the body, there is no deep rust or damage. I gave it a valve job and now it runs. I plan to leave it all original, as a driver. Not going to touch a thing. Gonna fix the lights though. And the generator/voltage regulator.

Keith , I can consider me lucky , i have found only sma]l holes in mine , but a lot of Nevada dust , The first owner Winifred R Scott lived in Las Vegas when he bought the car , the secund owner was his son Robert R Scott Jr ...

About the mechanic and dont know so much yet , the engine is not original , its changed to a 263 of 1953 , three valves was rusty and stuked , but they move now , and the engine turns around fine , the oil pump sems to work , dont know the pressure yet ,.. Need to rebuilt , The Carburator , Water pump, starter, distributor ,clean the oil filter

post-146893-0-24539800-1456901357_thumb.

The rust i found so far ...

The floor is in good shape

Ben

post-146893-0-67105600-1456901306_thumb.

You certainly are fortunate. I'd fix an engine any day, rather than the body! That colour looks the same as what was on mine when I bought it.

Keith

• Like 2

I love the look of yours as mine too .I love my 41 buick special , owned her since 2000 . My original motor finally got tired and now have a rebuilt 1948 248 to back in her . Can't wait to get back to driving . 

20140818_184714.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

That looks like another one in the background??

Keith

Yes Thats the Buick Business Coupe 1937 :)  Bt

My shock absorber expert recommends motorycle fork oil due to it's anti-foaming qualities. Hydraulic jacks don't experience the continuous cycling of shocks or forks and may not have the anti-foaming chemistry. Bob H

2 hours ago, Bob H said:

My shock absorber expert recommends motorycle fork oil due to it's anti-foaming qualities. Hydraulic jacks don't experience the continuous cycling of shocks or forks and may not have the anti-foaming chemistry. Bob H

If you use motorcycle fork oil you should get it from your expert.  Tried it once and broke shock links (probably wrong viscosity).  On the other hand I have never had a problem driving hundreds of thousands of miles with jack oil.

Can you tell me what the correct viscosity for Buick shock absorber oil is, and the viscosity of the fork oil you used? Do you have pictures of the broken shock links, and any damage they may have caused? Bob H

On 8.4.2016 at 9:25 PM, First Born said:

May I ask where you found the seal? Using a New bearing?

Ben

Hi I got it from a friend , who repairs industrial waterr pumps , this one was from a Sarlin water pump , dont know more about it :)  Bt

Yes i used new bearings //Bt

I have always used jack oil as well, I think that with the use that these cars get the anti foaming is not so much of any issue.

Keith

18 hours ago, Bob H said:

Can you tell me what the correct viscosity for Buick shock absorber oil is, and the viscosity of the fork oil you used? Do you have pictures of the broken shock links, and any damage they may have caused? Bob H

I have used Permatex hydraulic jack oil (fluid?) since 1965 in the rear lever shocks of my 1955.  The container used to state:  "for hydraulic jacks and knee action shock absorbers".  It seems to be about the same viscosity as the original and has worked well.  I cannot find viscosity specs.  The motorcycle fork oil I used was much more viscous and was given to me in a small jar --- it was my intention to stiffen up the ride.  The shock link rubber on the end pulled off the pin.  A higher viscosity may work in your front shocks...report back if you try it.

Willie

Tried to put water in the engine , but the frezze plugs was to rusty , so i had to take away the intake and exhaust

I have hard to find new fryzze plugs , eny suggestions where to get new ???

IMG_4503.JPGIMG_4475.JPGIMG_4510.JPGIMG_4513.JPGust

• Like 1

The car is out of the garage by its own engine for the first time sins 1974 , only in and out from the garage , but a good start ...IMG_4657.JPGIMG_4825.PNG

• Like 2

Hi

Now it have past the registration test , just waiting for the new registration plates , The intension is to drive it this summer , and just injoy driving it //BtIMG_5174.JPGIMG_5170.JPGIMG_5183.JPG

• Like 2