Buick Super 2d Coupe 1941

BenBuick38

My shock absorber expert recommends motorycle fork oil due to it's anti-foaming qualities. Hydraulic jacks don't experience the continuous cycling of shocks or forks and may not have the anti-foaming chemistry. Bob H

2 hours ago, Bob H said:

My shock absorber expert recommends motorycle fork oil due to it's anti-foaming qualities. Hydraulic jacks don't experience the continuous cycling of shocks or forks and may not have the anti-foaming chemistry. Bob H

If you use motorcycle fork oil you should get it from your expert.  Tried it once and broke shock links (probably wrong viscosity).  On the other hand I have never had a problem driving hundreds of thousands of miles with jack oil.

On 8.4.2016 at 9:25 PM, First Born said:

May I ask where you found the seal? Using a New bearing?

Ben

Hi I got it from a friend , who repairs industrial waterr pumps , this one was from a Sarlin water pump , dont know more about it :)  Bt

Yes i used new bearings //Bt

18 hours ago, Bob H said:

Can you tell me what the correct viscosity for Buick shock absorber oil is, and the viscosity of the fork oil you used? Do you have pictures of the broken shock links, and any damage they may have caused? Bob H

I have used Permatex hydraulic jack oil (fluid?) since 1965 in the rear lever shocks of my 1955.  The container used to state:  "for hydraulic jacks and knee action shock absorbers".  It seems to be about the same viscosity as the original and has worked well.  I cannot find viscosity specs.  The motorcycle fork oil I used was much more viscous and was given to me in a small jar --- it was my intention to stiffen up the ride.  The shock link rubber on the end pulled off the pin.  A higher viscosity may work in your front shocks...report back if you try it.

Willie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...