1938 Merceds

Guest Rick Howe

Guest Rick Howe

Was hoping someone out there could provide me with information on Pre War Mercedes. I am looking for someone in the Atlanta GA area or any where if not in the area who could rebuild to factor specs a 1938 230 flat 6 for a Mercedes. I look forward to the feed back. 

He means a flathead six. Mercedes built a lot of flathead 4s and 6s in those days.

I don't know why but all the newbies call flathead engines, flat engines. Except for some reason they always get flathead Ford right.

Guess they don't know a flat engine is a completely different design, with horizontally opposed cylinders like a VW, Porsche, or Subaru.

Guess he never heard of boxer engines. I do recall seeing a rear engine Merc coupe a long time ago and thinking "Why ?". Was there a prewar merger or were they just trying to tick Auto-Union (now Audi) off ?

& just to be really obscure, didn't the NOVI have a flat crank ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Flat crank meaning with throws at 180 degrees to each other, is standard on 4 cylinder cars and was standard on the first V8 cars of 1915 - 1924. In 1924 Packard brought out the first 90 degree crank in their straight eight and it became standard for 8 cyl cars. The 1930 Viking was the last production V8 with a flat crank and it also had flat heads. Some racing V8s have flat cranks including NOVI. It is supposed to give more HP.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Was hoping someone out there could provide me with information on Pre War Mercedes. I am looking for someone in the Atlanta GA area or any where if not in the area who could rebuild to factor specs a 1938 230 flat 6 for a Mercedes. I look forward to the feed back.

Buh! Tough crowd! :-/

Depending on condition, any crank shop could do a 7000 mile special.

Does it run?

Have you called around?

I have people in SC but that's as far down as we go.

Guest Rick Howe

If you have a contact name and number in South Carolina that would be great. Would like to have it rebuilt to factory specs if possible. I look forward to your response.

Just as a matter of interest, Ferrari and Lotus have used flat-plane crankshafts in their V-8s for years.  The 2015 Ford/Shelby GT 350 uses a flat-plane crank.  I guess these could be considered to be "production" cars, although many folks would consider them to be "limited production" cars.  Hmm, I wonder where the line is drawn between "production" and "limited production". :P

Cheers,

Grog

Was not aware of the Ferrari Lotus and Ford examples. If they were produced in numbers and offered in the dealers showrooms to be sold to the public they are production cars. Racing associations have rules about the definition of production, I think for NASCAR it is 500 cars. In Europe if you sell more than 10  it's mass production lol.