Peerless With Cont'l 15S Straight 8???

Bud Tierney

The thread looking for a Cont'l 8 for the Rolland-Pilain, and the reference to the 15S on EBay reminded me to try to bring my Cont'l 8 list up to date...

In a 38 Victor catalog I find, under Peerless:

"Standard 8 1930-31....see Cont'l 15S"

While replacement parts catalogs (my sources) are notoriously incomplete and contradictory,  none of my other period catalogs (1929-36) list the 15S...the 12K, 14K  and an unidentified "Cont'l Special", no b/s (valve catalog) that's almost certainly the 12K, yes,...

Does anyone here have a Peerless engine list, or know if the 15S was actually used???

I saw the post on the AACA Buy/Sell Forum about a 15-S. I don't know of a Peerless with that engine. There WAS a Continental 17-S with 85 HP and 246.7 Cu. In., used in the 1930/31 period. Uber-rare and quite attractive. There were also Peerless models produced in similar numbers with Model 12-K and 13-K engines in the 114-120 HP class and 322 Cu. In., in 1929/30/31/32. Also rare today....you're more likely to see an SJ Duesenberg.

1929 Windsor White Prince 8-82 and 8-92 cars from Moon Motors of St. Louis used the 15S straight-eight. Some of these Continental engines with different model numbers are still close in design. The 12K, 13K and 14K, for instance, are very similar, I've read. I know of a 1930 Peerless Coupe needing a straight-eight-Continental out in California.........maybe this would do in a pinch.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)